cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Switch Static IP Address - CBS350-24P-4G

Len Levin
Level 1
Level 1

I know I shouldn't have started working on this late on a Sunday night.  I have done this in the past with other managed switch, but to save the little bit of hair I have remaining on my head, for the sake of me, I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the CBS350-24P-4G.  I have the Admin manual, googled and I am still pulling my hair.

I want to set the device IP address to static of admin, sweet and simply.

Help on a cold, soon to be snowy night, in New England.

Thanks.

Len

7 Replies 7

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

Where exactly are you stuck? Are you able to log into the switch and if so, what method are you using (console or webUI)? According to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-350/get-to-know-your-switch.html#ID-00000275, there should be a default static IP address of 192.168.1.254. I'm betting this is assigned to the VLAN interface 1. Changing this to your desired IP address should achieve your goal. If you desire to manage this switch from another network, make sure you remember to configure the default gateway IP address as well.

Tyson,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am doing with with the WebUI.  I know that this is normally done with making the IP address Static in the VLAN.  I can change it to Static but the IP address field is not editable.  tThere is a setting on this page, "Auto Configuration via DHCP: Enabled".  Never seen this before and not sure how to disable it.

Len

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can you share a screen shot? What about configuring from the command line? Have you attempted to change the IP address via console or SSH?

I ended up calling support.  I had the help of a very knowledgeable tech who walked me thru the process.  We both agreed that these new switches have some of the functionality of the higher end switches.

Briefly, I had to create another VLAN, 2, tied to a specific port on a different subnet.  This allowed me to make changes to VLAN1, setting the IP as a Static.  Disconnecting from the port assigned to VLAN2 I was then able to disassociate the port from VLAN 2 and than delete VLAN2.

Len

Len

I do not have much experience with that model of switch and appreciate your sharing your experience, and especially the steps that you used to change the IP of interface vlan 1. In hind sight it is understandable that the GUI would not allow you to change the IP of the interface to which you had connected. So creating a new vlan and vlan interface, connecting to the new IP then allows you to change the original IP. +5 for sharing that with us.

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the complement.

It has been my process to assign static IPs to all of the network and fixed equipment at my customers.  This makes it easier to support.  In the past generation of switches I was able to change the IP with out all of the steps I had to go through with this model.

I asked the support person how he knew to do this.  He said this has been the way for higher end switches..

Take care.

Len

Len

I believe the compliment was well deserved. This discussion brings up an interesting point about changing the IP address of a switch that is being deployed for the first time. I would suggest that it has much less to do with higher end vs lower end and has much more to do with whether you access the switch via console or via GUI.

The underlying issue I believe is what happens if a device has a single IP address configured, you access the device and change that IP address.

- If you have accessed the device via console then it is no big deal. You change the interface IP address, your connection remains stable, and when anyone wants to access the device they use the new IP and everything works. 

- But if you have accessed the device via GUI (or via telnet/SSH) and change the interface IP address then your session no longer works (you have just eliminated the address to which you connected). In your case the GUI is intelligent enough to recognize that changing the only IP address on the switch will terminate your connection and does not allow you to do that. 

Having worked through the logic of this I recognize that perhaps there is some truth to the higher end vs lower end comparison. With the higher end we are typically using CLI (both console and telnet/SSH use CLI) while the lower end switches tend to use GUI. With CLI you can access the switch and change the only configured IP address. Your session drops, and you establish a new session using the new IP address - not a big deal. But using GUI it does not want to allow you to do something that will terminate your session to the switch.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card