Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP 10G-LR not producing light through ports on Cisco 9500

Hi all,

I come here and research topics but never had one myself that has me stomped until today. I have a Cisco 9500 I am setting up and when I plug in the SFP-10G-LR there isn't any light coming from the port. It isn't a third party SFP and it appears that it is compatible from documentation. Whats weird is if I swap them out with a SFP-10G-SR-MM I can see light. Any takers on what could be the issue here fiber cables are good ports are all "no shut", software is pretty up to date since it is a new switch. the switch even recognizes the SFP in the "sho int status" but no light any takers on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

10G-LR is single-mode, so you will not be able to see Light  (how you see on Multimode), Only way to test is with any Optic Meters or connect the other end.

The Fibre patch is good, then try to twist the Optic cables and check.

A----A

B----B

to

A---B

B---A

you can do a Fibre loop test on the port. (not suggested but it works).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@DerekLazarus78183 : It seems like the SFP is faulty. You need to do RMA !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

10G-LR is single-mode, so you will not be able to see Light  (how you see on Multimode), Only way to test is with any Optic Meters or connect the other end.

The Fibre patch is good, then try to twist the Optic cables and check.

A----A

B----B

to

A---B

B---A

you can do a Fibre loop test on the port. (not suggested but it works).

BB

Correct I definitely had a brain fart when writing the post explaining but I threw a loopback plug on the sfp got link lights. Then threw one on the fiber cable itself nothing so after investigating found a bad splice in the fiber done by our wire guys and all was good to go after running a good cable with no splice

Glad all good and you able to fix the issue with the suggestion, appreciated your feedback and inputs..Cheers!

BB

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@DerekLazarus78183 : Well Optics meter as also to to test. Before RMA, Please test with the Optics meter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card