Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP+ compatibility for C3KX-NM-10G in 3560X switch

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm looking for what SFP+ modules are compatable in the 2 SFP+ ports of the C3KX-NM-10G expantion module that can be put into a 3560X switch.

Specifically looking to connect 2 10gig cables from one 3560X and 2 10 gig cables from another 3560X to the 4 SFP+ ports availble on an EMC VNX2 Storage array.

EMC has cards for a whole variety of 10 gig interfaces (copper, fiber, etc..), but the most cost effective is Active twinax SFP+.  Will Active Twinax SFP+ be supported with 2 of them in each 3560X switch?

I also think that if the 2 10-gig SFP+ ports are active in the C3KX-NM-10G, the 2 standard SFP ports next to them in that module become disabled?  Is that correct?  If so that is a serious design flaw / oversight from Cisco.  Now I would have to waste ports out of the 24 for trunked uplink to core if that's the case.

3 Replies 3

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

Nevermind, I found the doucment that has all this required infromation here.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/common/hardware/02cards_modules/router/docs_mod2/3560X_3750X_net_mod.pdf

Yes put in 10gig SFP+ in ports 2 and 4 on the C3KX-NM-10G and ports 1 and 3 on it will be disabled.

Looks like Twinax is supported in 1, 3 and 5 meter distances.

SFP-H10GB-CU1M= 10 GBASE-CU Twinax SFP+ cable assembly, 1 meter (Version -02)

SFP-H10GB-CU3M= 10 GBASE-CU Twinax SFP+ cable assembly, 3 meters (Version -02)

SFP-H10GB-CU5M= 10 GBASE-CU Twinax SFP+ cable assembly, 5meters (Version -02)

Yes. also, I found out the hard way that other twinax lengths are not only not supported - they won't work (as of yet). Even when you add "service unsupported transceiver".

I opened a TAC case on that when I tried using an alternate length twinax assembly (from Cisco) and they said it wouldn't be supported until (target) Early 2014!

Yes. also, I found out the hard way that other twinax lengths are not oly not supported - they won't work (as of yet). Even when you add "service unsupported transceiver".

I opened a TAC case on that when I tried using and alternate length twinax assembly (from Cisco) and they said it wouldn't be supported until (target) Early 2014!

ROFL!

Gold!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card