Helpful
Replies

sfp ports

ayosizzle
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

my question is thus and painted belwo is the scenario:

The core switch is a 6506 and one of the modules is the 48port POE module. The 6506 resides in the main building and we need to interconnect two other annexes to the main building via fibre. is it possible to have just 2 sfp ports on the 48 port module or any other suggestions on how to connect the fibre cable to the switch?

Also, if the existent network is made up of Cat5e cables would it be of anyuse to use Cat6 cables for uplink for the switches on each segment to the core switch. I feel basically the Cat5e would nullify the speed of the Cat6 or am i  wrong and this would make uplink speed faster.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The core switch is a 6506 and one of the modules is the 48port POE module. The 6506 resides in the main building and we need to interconnect two other annexes to the main building via fibre. is it possible to have just 2 sfp ports on the 48 port module or any other suggestions on how to connect the fibre cable to the switch?

Doesn't make any sense.  You say you have a 6506 with a PoE line card.  Next you want to use two ports from the same line card which happens to be SFP?  Can you post the output to the command "sh module"?

Also, if the existent network is made up of Cat5e cables would it be of anyuse to use Cat6 cables for uplink for the switches on each segment to the core switch. I feel basically the Cat5e would nullify the speed of the Cat6 or am i  wrong and this would make uplink speed faster.

I have seen people use Cat 5e and attempt to push 1 Gbps of traffic.  I've also seen Cat 6 being used for 1 Gbps.  My recommendation is to stick with standard:  Use Cat 6.

Hi leo,

Yes there is a PoE line card with 48 ports. My issue now is I have a scenario whereby I have to terminate just  2access switches  onto the 6506 and fibre is the mode of connection. I dont want to incur the cost of buying an SFP line card so I was asking if there is an alternative option availabale.

Noted about the Cat6. so its ok to use Cat6 for the uplink cables even if the existent network ie the LAN is running on Cat5e coz the client doesnt want to bear the cost of total reneteorking using Cat6.

DJ.

The only line card I know with non-PoE ports and fibre is the supervisor card.  I have yet to see line card with both copper and fibre (except supervisor card).

You can use the ports in the supervisor cards however suits your needs.

Kindly post the output to the command "sh module".

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

dj sizzle wrote:

hello,

my question is thus and painted belwo is the scenario:

Does the 48 port PoE module ahve any SFP ports in it?

Just because it's PoE doesn't exclude a port from being used as a "normal" data port - just configure the port in question not to provide PoE - but without knowing the module type, I can't say if there's anywhere to plug SFP module into it. As Leo asked, what kind of 48 port module is in the 6500?

As far as your cabling goes - use Cat6. While you might get GigE over Cat5E, you lose distance. Better yet, use Cat7 and guarantee yourself 100 meters of gigabit conenctivity. :-) There's no reason not to use Cat6 for just your uplink cables, leaving everything else Cat5E.

Cheers.

The line card is actually the Cat6500 48-port 10/100/1000 GE Mod: fabric enabled, RJ-45, the issue am having is I really cant buy another line card for just 2 sfp ports for the two access switches to connect to so I needed alternatives of connecting the fibre terminated ports to the core switch.

It's a proposed design so I cant post the output of the sh module.

You just need two SFP ports?  That's easy.   The Sup720 has two SFP ports and one copper port. 

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

leolaohoo wrote:

You just need two SFP ports?  That's easy.   The Sup720 has two SFP ports and one copper port. 

As Leo describes, a sup720 has two SFP ports and a copper port, but to clarify that a bit, it's actually one SFP port and one (SFP port or copper port); i.e. you have two logical gig ports to work with, three physical gig ports.

Also BTW, if the supervisor is a sup32, it has 8 logical gig ports which I believe are 7 SFP and one (SFP or copper).

PS:

On the issue of cat5e vs. cat6, cat6 would be "better" (max distance, interference rejection) guarantee carrying gig but if cat5e is already installed, you can certainly try to use it.  A "good" (meets spec) installation should be able to support gig up to 100 m.

Thank you for the response and your suggestion has been noted!!!

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM, JosephDoherty <

dj sizzle wrote:

The line card is actually the Cat6500 48-port 10/100/1000 GE Mod: fabric enabled, RJ-45, the issue am having is I really cant buy another line card for just 2 sfp ports for the two access switches to connect to so I needed alternatives of connecting the fibre terminated ports to the core switch.

It's a proposed design so I cant post the output of the sh module.

If it's an RJ45 line card then no, you can't put SFP ports into it.

As others have noted, use the SFP ports in your SUP. They should be adequate for what you need.

Cheers.

Partner11
Level 1
Level 1

Test

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card