cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Problems - Light is going through, but no connection

Chris Lhamon
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying for 2 days to troubleshoot a fiber connection that I need between an existing Arista and a Cisco 3650.  Right now, I can't get a lot of equipment to connect all with SFP-LH-SMD transceivers.  This is a high-level summary of the situation, but it's really strange (and YES, I have swapped the transmit and receive).

This single mode connection is ran through multiple closets in the same building.  I need 5 patch cables for 1 connection, but it is definitely not near the max length.  Our cabling company tested the 2 connections that I need, found an issue with one, but we moved it to a different cable run.  The fiber can't be the issue.

This is what I was seeing on the switches.  I was seeing one switch link flap and err-disable every time at first, and now I'm not getting anything.  I did a lot of "show interface transceiver" commands.  It looked like 1 strand was good and 1 was bad in both directions, but I couldn't get a link.  I put an old 3560 with the same SFP in one of the closets in the middle, and it could connect to the Arista and to the 3650.

Next, I brought the 3650 to that closet, wiped the config to make sure nothing was causing problems, configured a trunk, and I started not getting a link at all.  However, a "show interface transceiver" looked great.  I even plugged the 3650 directly to a 5k in that closet, and it was identical.  I can't even get a connection to come up between the 3560 and the 5k (taking the 3650 completely out of the equation).  I even tried some GLC-T SFPs between the 5k and the 3560, and still couldn't get a link.  I wasn't using a crossover cable, but I would assume that the 5k can automatically.

I brought in a couple coworkers, and I don't see any reasons why this should happen unless we are frying SFPs or we are missing something very obvious.

My questions:

Has anyone worked with an Arista and the SFP-LH-SMD transceivers?

Has anyone seen a link flap like this one even with multiple cable runs and fiber that has been tested?

What would cause 2 trunks to not at least go UP/DOWN when there is light going to both switches?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Here's some more info:

3650 is running IOS-XE 3.7.5.

The Aristas are old (don't have the model # right now), but are working with other Cisco SFPs.

The Aristas are in an area in which I have to jump through hoops to access.

I passed my CCNP switch, and I've been doing this for a while.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Chris Lhamon
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Solved...

I found that the interface that I had the SFP-LH-SMD in on the 3650 needed the "speed nonegotiate" command.  I thought that since it didn't have the option to statically set the speed that I didn't need to do that.  On the other end, I had statically set the speed before on the Aristas, and that didn't help.

Everything is good now.  I just wanted to update this post.

This is my last update on this issue.

There was a Cisco bug that just opened for something very similar to my experience.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvc47165?emailclick=CNSemail

Their workaround is that exact command that I used to fix it.  It looks like you shouldn't have to perform that command, but you will have to with that bug.  IOS-XE version 16 looks like it should fix the bug, but they don't have all of the features that I need, so I'm not upgrading it yet.

Just want to help others if anyone else has this issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card