SFP question on SFP-10G-SR vs. SFP-10/25G-CSR-S

byme88
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the 2 types of SFP:

SFP-10G-SR vs. SFP-10/25G-CSR-S

Scenario:

Current in production: Cisco Catalyst 4500X have some SFP 10G, type: SFP-10G-SR; these ports are connected to various devices like routers, switch, servers etc.

I am in the process of upgrading the 4500X to 9500 Catalyst, but with a newer SFP type: SFP-10/25G-CSR-S.

My concern: Will the newer SFP-10/25G-CSR-S automatically negotiate and default to 10G Speed? or I will have to manually set the speed of the SFP-10/25G-CSR-S ports to 10G to make it work. 

The reason I couldn't do the testing is because the 4500X are in production line now.

Thank you all in advance!

Byme88

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One of the testing I have done same as yours :

I have a new Cat 9500 having Cisco SFP-10/25G-CSR-S  and Traditional Stack Cat 3850 or other devicess have SFP10G-SR or SR-S did not work even with latest 17.3.5

Cat 9500 Cisco SFP-10/25G-CSR-S to Cat 9300 Cisco SFP-10/25G-CSR-S works as expected.

If you have latest Family of devices Cat 9K all over, then worth buying Cisco SFP-10/25G-CSR-S both the sides.

If you still looking to connect any OLD  Modules does not support Cisco SFP-10/25G-CSR-S, then suggest to use 10G-SR

Note : this is my test outcome may be 6months+ old, this may be changed (not that I see any one have success).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks so much for your response. 

In this case I might be able to re-use the SFP-10G-SR from the 4500X. The trick question is:  Will the newer switch 9500 support the old SFP-10G-SR????

Thanks,

By me88

yes they do support 100% on new Cat 9500/9300 - at least you save cost here.

BB

Hi,

Do you happen to know if the Cisco Nexus 5596 support SFP-10/25G-CSR-S?

Thanks,

byme88

Nexus running 7.X  on Nexus 7K and 5K did not work for me.

check compatibility :

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

BB

Did you know why it did not work ? 

-hope this helps-

Never put my time to investigate(honestly) - especially when we working in a production environment - more focus on working solutions rather deep diving into the root cause.

Maybe if I get a chance next will try if the time permits.

BB

Agree, if you find, please post, that’s seems like something that should work without any issues. 

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card