cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300 managed Switch Management from the network.

tariqalqadi
Level 1
Level 1

i have 3 managed switches SG300 in different building  connected to core switch dell PC6224 that doing the clan routing

i have created a new Vlan on the SG switches and connect up-link SFP to the DELL switch. the new vlan gateway is on the Dell Core switch 

everything is going fine with the switches..and connection.

but the problem that till now i am mangaging the SG switches direct from the switch on port 1 which its the only port on Vlan 1

the other ports are on vlan 150( NEW vlna)

how i can manage the SG300 switch from the network. like OOB management interface or something ?

dose these series have Out of Band management interface or something?? if not what is the solution to manage them from the LAN not direct connect to them.

note that i did change the Vlan of the port 1 from vlan 1 to management vlan 151 (management)  with allowed the vlan on the trunk

with no success to access the switch from the LAN.

dell PC6224P configuration.

int vlan 155 New vlan

int vlan vlan 150 users

int vlan vlan 151 managment

int vlan vlan 152  servers

int vlan vlan 153 wireless

SFP uplink 

switch port trunk allowed vlan add 150-153

SG 300 switch Configuration 

vlan 150 users 

vlan 151 managment

vlan 152  servers

vlan 153 wireless

vlan 155 New vlan 

9 Replies 9

tariqalqadi
Level 1
Level 1

any help ?

Hello,

telnet to the management IP address should be possible. Are your switches in layer 2 or layer 3 mode ?

the switch are in layer 2 ..the main problem that i am connecting the SG 300 switches to the core by one uplink SFP, trunked all vlans.

i saw that the SG need a dedicated physical interface for the management.

i have only one vlan on the SG so how i can manage them through the uplink that connected to the dell core.

Hello,

as far as I know, in layer 2 mode you still need to set an ip default gateway on the switch for management access, regardless of what the management VLAN is.

Do you have one configured ?

the managment vlan 156 gateway is on the dell core switch.

al switches now are configured and running but for management i left port 1 for direct access to the switch management.??

all ports are in the new vlan on switch (finance). only port 1 are still in the vlan 1 for access managment..

i already have managment vlan interface on the dell switch which its 151. and all dell switches management on this vlan.

do you mean that on each cisco switch to do the following

switch 1.

Ip default gateway 192.168.151.X

switch 2.

Ip default gateway 192.168.151.y

switch 3.

Ip default gateway 192.168.151.z

without assigning it to vlan???????

The ip default-gateway is the IP address of Vlan 156 on the Dell switch, so it is the same for all switches. The management IP addresses for each switch must come from the Vlan 156 subnet, e.g.:

Switch 1

Management IP address 192.168.151.1

Default Gateway 192.168.151.151

Switch 2

Management IP address 192.168.151.2

Switch 3

Management IP address 192.168.151.3

So basically each switch needs a management IP address and a default gateway.

Does that make sense ? Let me know if you get stuck...

i did this and he asked through the gui to change the the default / managment vlan also i changed it to 156 and give it an ip in the range but didnt ask for default gateway...then i stucked and couldnt access the switch until i restart it..??

please if you have a 100 % way to solve this issue tell me... i need to test from the site which its far away :)

or if you have a gui step by step procedure will be great

thank you

Hello,

take a look at this link, it has GUI sceenshots.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=84de6bdfe6464fec8f467e9b5740da69_200_Series_Switches__Initial_Configuration.xml

hi

thank you for the help.

is this going to work without assigning the managment vlan to any of the switch ports (physical ports).???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card