cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 500 Stacking SFP cabling

ciscopnb
Level 1
Level 1

Wanted to know if anyone has stacked a set of these switches with the copper 5G SFP on these switches. We currently have 4 switches stacked with Cat5e jumpers between S1&S2. We want to stop using this stacking method and go to the SFP. What is the best way to do this. Live would be preferable but whatever is the safest method is the way we will proceeed. Any goth'ca's in this process? Thanks, Jim

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jim, the SX500 series stack algorthm that is based on system up time, if all system uptime are the same then it is based off lowest mac address. You may want to consider a force master command on the switch you have decided as the master to ensure it is always the master.

When migrating to the 5g modules, there are twinax connections SFP-H10GB-CU1M, CU3M, CU5M. The 1,3 and 5 are increment of meters, so about 15 foot max length.

The other modules SFP-10G-SR, SFP-10G-LRM and SGP-10G-LR are not supported on the SX500 (non X).  You may experiment with other modules but it is not garaunteed to work additionally you'll have to check the EEPROM speed and likely force the user speed.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

jhickman
Level 1
Level 1

Jim,

We have 6 of these switches stacked this way. What we've learned though it to use the Ring topology for stacking, and definitely force a master as Tom said.

Page 68

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf

-Jed

Hi Jed,

I suppose that you stacked 6 switches 24 ports or  I was wrong.

Cisco documentations says that stacked may be up to four switches or up to 200 ports.

Tell more about your hardware configuration. I plan install 6 switches 48 ports Gb and used two stacks.

Kamil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card