cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 without POE not working w lan and inline POE adapter

getRdone
Level 1
Level 1

We have a SG200-26 without POE. I have 1 device that needs POE so I purchased a inline POE adapter and installed between the switch and the device.  I think something in this switch does not like an inline POE adapter between the switch and the device that needs POE.  Any suggestions?  I get power to the device but no network traffic at all on the switch.

Thanks in Advance 

11 Replies 11

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should work.  Have you tried different cables - just in case?

Hi,

The power injector is independent of the switch, are you sure it supports the voltage requested by the device? And if this power injector is compatible with the device. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

That is a good point. Perhaps the device needs 15.4W and the PoE injector is only 7W and is no giving enough power to the device fully come online.

If you plug a PC with Wireshark into the power injector where the switch would normally go do you see any packets being spat out at all?

getRdone
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried different cables, different brands of PoE Injectors and nothing works except, and this is VERY weird... If I have a smaller switch (Ex Cheap 4 Port) that is down stream of the Cisco switch and plug it in, everything works as expected... So Strange it makes me think the SG200-26 is shuttiing down the port or something like that.

When pluged into the SG200 directly with PoE my device is getting power but something is halting all LAN traffic.. The device is a Cisco WAP321 it glows Orange, power is present but no net traffic at all.

Thanks all for helping! Any additional ideas?

This must be the PoE injector I'm using. (4 & 5 are +)  and (7 & 8 are -).

Weird that it works when  another smaller switch is installed downstream from the main switch.

Hi Tim,

Yes it is not a normal behavior, just a question, is the port configured as access mode or default config?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Sorry but I'm not sure how to check that. I looked in the web management interface and did not see anything so, my guess is it's the default config.

This is so bizarre. When I connect the PoE and a WAP321 device to any other switch at our office it works fine. It only fails when I connect PoE and WAP321 to a SG200-26 Cisco, I get Power but no ethernet traffic.  I have tried 2 different SG200-26 with the same result so my guess is the port wiring has to be different than other switches?  This is really a mystery...

I wonder if this is a firmware issue.  Is the firmware up to date?

Yes, I updates it but no change at all. Thanks tho..

Hello,

in addition to the other posts, and I don't know if your model has that feature, the SG switches have something called Green Ethernet (page 126 of the attached user guide). You might want to try the settings in that section...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/Cisco_200Sx_v1_4_AG.pdf

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card