Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 VLans

Tech Merlin
Level 1
Level 1

quick question on vlans,

we are doing some work for a growing company who's network is already in. We are joining the phone systems from the remote location (vpn) into the main location. they have 2 locations connected via fiber and a 3rd location via VPN all on 5 Cisco SG200-26 switches.

I've noticed everything seems wired well and switches linked properly but everything is all on one network, except the remote location on VPN obviously is on another network. They have a number of servers (mail, document management, file/print and so forth)

I'm looking for suggestions, as users have reported some latency but we are talking approximately 80 users and this seems more server access time based vs network speed, they are running GB and updated machines. What I am thinking is should the servers be broken off into vlan's as well as the new phone system connection from the remote office to try and cut down some of the traffic on the main default vlan.

Perhaps I'm just being picky and like things more broken into groups but I want to hear what the group suggests. the machines do obviously access the servers and they are running a POTS phone system not VOIP handsets, this connection to the remote store for the phone will be VOIP using a Strata net system to connect the two, currently separate phone systems.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At 80 users this is not a large network and having a flat network may work OK. But there could be advantages in changing so that servers were in a separate vlan (and in a separate subnet). This would be especially true if there are chances that the network will grow over time.  It would isolate the servers from the broadcast traffic generated by user devices. And down the road you may want to implement some security to protect the servers. This would be easier if they were in a separate vlan and separate subnet.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card