cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300/500 InterVLAN Routing Issue + DHCP Relay

tomislavtomasic
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to communicate between VLAN's on my switch configuration.

I would also like to enable clients to be assigned different DHCP scopes based on VLAN membership.

Layer 3 mode is enabled on all switches.

SG-500 is the central point to witch 5 SG-300 switches are connected.

On 5 SG-300 switches I have configured 5 separate VLANs - VLAN2 [192.168.1.0/24], VLAN3 [172.16.3.0/24], VLAN4 [172.16.4.0/24], VLAN5 [172.16.5.0/24],VLAN6 [172.16.6.0/24.]

On SG-500 I have configured all 5 VLANs from SG-300 switches.

I need to have 172.16.x.0/24 clients being able to receive DHCP configuration from a DHCP server (192.168.1.8) located on 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

I have enabled DHCP relay on SG-500 interfaces recieving VLAN3..5 subnets traffic.

When I issue a DHCP request from a client on VLAN3..5 subnets I do not receive a DHCP configuration response.

When I set up a static IP on a client from VLAN3..5 subnets, I cannot ping VLAN2 IP addresses.

What works is, setting an IP address on default VLAN1, but I do not want any existing or future added switch to be able to automatically receive IP configuration across networks by using VLAN1.

Why can't I ping from VLAN3..5 to VLAN2?

Do I need to set-up static routes on SG-500 to enable inter-vlan routing or will it handle directly connected VLAN routing itself?

How do I set-up DHCP relay for VLAN3..5 clients?

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Tomislav

3 Replies 3

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tomislav,

I don't have much expertise in SMB Switches but based on the details you have provided , intervlan communication doesn't seem to be happening.

1 - Are you able to ping to Interface VLAN2/3/4/5/6  on SG500 Switch from machines connected to corresponding VLANs on SG300 Switches ?

2 - Is the default gateway on the machines set to corresponding interface VLAN IPs ?

Regards,
Anup

Don't forget to rate if you found this helpful !

Regards,
Anup

Hi Anup,

1 - I cannot ping to VLAN interfaces on SG500 switches.

2 - Yes, I set the default GW to interface VLAN IPs.

Best,

Tomislav

Hi Tomislav,

For InterVLAN communication to happen there should defintely be connectivity to corresponsing SVIs or interface VLANs configured on the SG500 from nodes in VLANs on SG300. I guess it can be due to the following reasons

1. If there are multiple VLANs in each SG300 and the connection from SG300 to SG500 is not confiured as a trunk link and is passing only a particular VLAN traffic. Are they trunk links (with ports configured as trunk ports on both ends ) with the correct encapsulation?

2. If they are trunk links, is the VLAN traffic being blocked due to pruning or something on the trunk links ?

Basically I think the root cause is that the traffic from the VLAN is not reaching your SG500 interface VLAN and that needs to be sorted out first.

I am just a novice but I had a seriously messed up VLAN situation (which was resolved eventually ! Hoo !  ) and that sure helped me much in understanding VLANs better.

That was not with SMB Switches anyway and they were Catalyst 2960s and Catalyst 3560s but I guess this discussion would help you in some way . Please do check the link for more information ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3795974#3795974 )

Regards,
Anup

Don't forget to rate if you found this helpful !

Regards,
Anup
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card