cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500XG-8F8T - Can I use all 16 ports simultaneously?

drestle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The question is:

Can I use all 16 ports simultaneously? Or are the dual porpose ports?

Thank you for your answers.

Best Regands
Daniel

10 Replies 10

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Pretty sure they are dual purpose, i,e one or the other,

Data sheet suggests I am right...

10 Gigabit Ethernet

SG500XG-8F8T

SG500XG-8F8T-K9

8*10 Gigabit Ethernet 10GBase-T copper port
8*10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+
1 Gigabit Ethernet management port

*Each combo mini-GBIC port has one 10/100/1000 copper Ethernet port and one mini-GBIC/SFP Gigabit Ethernet slot, with one port active at a time.

These are 16 discrete (not combo) ports. You can use all 8 ports of SFP+ 10 Gig fiber slots together with the 8 ports of 10GBase-T at the same time.

Hi Ivor,

are you shure? have you tested to use all 16 Ports at the same time?

Yes.

Thanks Ivor

This discussion applies to the SG500XG, does it also apply to the SG550XG?

Yes, it applies to SG550XG as well.

Just to make sure, Ivor, I have 16 ports on the SG550XG-8F8T. I can use all 16 ports. 8 for copper and 8 for SFP+ all at the same time?

I have 10 x 10GE copper servers and 4 x 10GE SFP uplinks 

Yes

"SFP interface is a combination port, shared with one other RJ-45 interface. When the SFP is active, the adjacent RJ-45 port is disabled"

Since the Quick Start specs published by Cisco are wrong on this, I figured I'd get clarification on stacking too. 

Can the RJ-45/Copper ports be used for stacking or only the SFP+ ports. In one part of the manual it says

" By default, SG500XG-8F8T is in standalone and has no stack port. Any of the ports on the switch can be converted to a stack port."

Then it goes on to say

"Standard Ethernet ports can not be used to stack the switches". 

Which is it? Might want to get your documentation cleaned up so it actually makes sense. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card