Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2000 Management IP

king.c.david
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've recently inhierited a network which relies on a couple of SGE2000 network which has multiple vlans configured, unfortunatley i am unable to get to the management ip of the device to look at the config. I have put in a serial cable it see that the management IP is 192.168.1.254 on vlan 1, but when i plug a device into the swithc and give it a IP on that range (both untagged and vlan 1 tagged) it is unable to access the MGMT IP.

anyone got any advice on where i have gone wrong??

Thanks

dave

52 Replies 52

Hi

attached is the current config

pinging the 192.168.1.254 address returns nothing and when sniffing this you see the cisco spanning tree STSP requests and the arp request for 192.168.1.254 form 192.168.1.10

Thanks

DAve

Hi,

What's on the advanced settings tab for your NIC  can you post please.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

advanced tab attached

Thanks

Dave

Hi,

You've got to disable that priority and vlan then you will have really gotten rid of trunking on this NIC.

Retry your ping then and tell us.

Regards.

Alain.

I've disabled the Vlan and on the nic and tried pinging again and no joy

attached is the pcap file from this

Hi,

Can you try deactivating then reactivating your NIC then if still doesn't work then try reboot your server and if still not working then try shutting/no shutting the Gi0/6 port and last resort: shutdown switch then restart it.

Regards.

Alain.

Hi

I've restarted the NIC, the server and disabled and re-enabled the port and nothing, I'm unable to restart the switch as it's currently in use

Is it worth changing the default vlan on the switch to something other than 1?

Thanks

dave

Hi,

No I think  it's not useful.

Can you post all cli menu windows of your switch please and confirm you have really disabled vlan support on the host.

Regards.

Alain.

attched are some of the screens of the CLI

i have re-ip'd the MGMT interface to 192.168.1.2, but it still doesn't answer the arp request

I'm afriad i thought the vlan id of the network was 1 and 2, and 2 isn't accepted by the switch, sadly i have no way to tell untill i get onto the switch

more screen shots

think the networking one is interesting as when trying to ping it comes back with net unreachable

thanks

Are any of the SGE2000 in Layer 3 mode you can find this out on the main screen option 4

Also what is your normal IP address range?

Thanks

Both the switches are in layer 2 mode

The normal subnet is 192.168.254.0/24

Thanks

Probably a stupid point but on this doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9967/products_qanda_item09186a0080a367c5.shtml#q

it mentions that the IP will be bound to a port, is it possible that my predecessor has done this and I'll need to try all the ports?

Thanks

Dave

The only reason that the device does not allow you to configure the IP on a differnt vlan is that the VLAN is not configured on the switch.

If you know the VLAN Id on your network use that one.

I would not change the default VLAN ID as you might lose network connectivity.

Is your other SGE2000 on the same IP as this is the default one might be worth changing it to 192.168.1.2 on vlan 1 and se where you get with that.

Hi

This is surely the problem indee but the management address is the default one and by default all ports should be in VLAN1

Can  you try on another port of the switch then  with another machine

Is your switch LED blinking when doing the ping?Is it green or amber?

Regards.

Alain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card