Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2000 Management IP

king.c.david
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've recently inhierited a network which relies on a couple of SGE2000 network which has multiple vlans configured, unfortunatley i am unable to get to the management ip of the device to look at the config. I have put in a serial cable it see that the management IP is 192.168.1.254 on vlan 1, but when i plug a device into the swithc and give it a IP on that range (both untagged and vlan 1 tagged) it is unable to access the MGMT IP.

anyone got any advice on where i have gone wrong??

Thanks

dave

52 Replies 52

Hi ,

Is it stacked?

Can you sniff while doing a ping -t for about 60 s  and post the pcap file.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

it is not stacked, though i believe it was once (before my time here!)

attached is the pcap file

thanks

dave

Hi,

I hoped ther was CDP but unfortunately no so no VLAN info.

From BPDUs there seems there is only one VLAN

But the only arp request received no replies and I don't see any icmp echoes? did you do your ping?

So it's a L2 problem surely

Can you try with another machine, on another port, with another rj45 cable combinations

Regards.

Alain.

Hi Alain

i've just attached my laptop to the switch and rang another ping -t

it looks like the two devices can see each other on the switch (192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.15) but still can't see the mgmt IP

I've attached the pcap file from my laptop

thanks

dave

Hi,

I think you should try to reset the switch. This is all I can think of now because communication through the switch is ok (L2 between 2 ports in same vlan ok) but once we try to communicate with SVI it fails. It's not easy without being able to see config of the switch to pinpoint the cause so I would try to reset hoping it will solve the problem.

But something strange we don't see the icmp echoes on your pcap file once again but maybe because you sniffed another host this time while pinging

ont the server 2008?

Regards.

Alain.

Hi Alain

I don't think a reset is going to help too much as i have 2 of these switches which are both showing the same symptoms, so it must be something with the set up of them

plus it's really difficult to reset these at the moment as they are servicing production servers

I really appreciate your help though, let me know if you can think of anything, and i'll reset one of them when i can arrange some downtime,

Thanks

Dave

Hi All

Just had a thought on this and was hoping to run it past someone, it seems one of the configured vlans on the switch is vlan 1. I plugged my NIC in tagged as vlan 1 and sniffed the packets and it was our main internal subnet. so i was thinking that this tagged vlan 1 may be conflicting with the untagged vlan 1 which is set up by default?

was going to change the number of the default vlan and try, but was wondering if this would affect anything else

(i did try giving the switch an IP on the internal subnet and accessing it that way but that didn't work)

Thanks

Dave

Hi,

Did you put your NIC  with support of 802.1P?  Can you verify and if so disable this and try again.

Because on this switching platform there is only dot1q and no possibility to tag all frames( the native vlan must be untagged and it is vlan1 by default).

Regards.

Alain.

Hi Alian

sorry i;m not 100% on what you mean there, but i've sent a screenshot of the config of the vlan

so do you think that as vlan 1 is set up as tagged that if i change the default vlan to something which is unused that this could work? and if i change the default vlan would this need a switch reset?

Thanks

Dave

just a follow up on this now

I have set it up with being tagged on vlan 1 (see screenshot) and have IP's the MGMT interface as 192.168.1.254 and the machine plugged in as 192.168.1.11

then i've done a sniff and seen some IGMP results. which are attached. thought it may shed some light

Thanks

dave

Hi,

you didn't tag vlan 1, all you said is this port is a trunk port and the native vlan is vlan1.

Your arp requests still don't get any replies and we see no pings at all.Concerning IGMP these are registrations in a multicast group and these are

not unicast frames.

I think you should disable VLAN feature on your NIC and try a ping again.

regards.

Alain.

I have just had a thought, If you know the VLANS ID that have been configured on your network you could re-address the switch to be a part of that VLAN.

To do this go to the main config menu, option 6 , option 1, option 1 then change the ip address of the unit to what you want but make sure you change the Managment VLAN to one you are using and put the gateway address in for that VLAN. As long as the VLAN ID have been configured on the switch it will change to that address. I don't think the switch reboots after the change so could be done live.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I don't see why he is trunking on his server NIC as it is in one vlan only and the switch untags frames when forwrding them out an access port.

Regards.

alain.

Hi

The reason why i tagged the NIC to vlan 1 was that i was just trying it out, i've returned it to being not tagged and get the same result of not much traffic

I think that to change the vlan of the management interface i would need to change the default vlan on the switch, as when i try to do this it comes back and says it needs to be an existing vlan. i'm happy to try this but would like to it will need a restart or will affect the other traffic running on the switch

sorry i'm being a noob on this!

Thanks

dave

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot of your NIC config when vlan support is disabled, I don't see any reason to trunk this port

Then try your ping to the interface Vlan ip address and tell us.

Regards.

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card