cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shape peak WAN uplink ?

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am just wondering what the purpose is of using the 'shape peak' command on a WAN uplink interface.

For instance, if you have agreement with the service provider for a 20Mbps WAN uplink, why would you bother shaping the traffic to 20Mbps ?

Is it solely to prevent overruns and packet loss in case your outvound traffic exceeded what your service provider plan was ?

Thanks for any info.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello, I am just wondering what the purpose is of using the 'shape peak' command on a WAN uplink interface.

The purpose of shaping, in general, or peak shaping, specifically?

Is it solely to prevent overruns and packet loss in case your outvound traffic exceeded what your service provider plan was ?

Not so much to prevent as to allow you, rather than your SP, to manage any congestion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Well explained here

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11365756/qos-question-shape-peak-and-shape-average

Thanks

Hitesh

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The purpose of shaping, in general, or peak shaping, specifically?

Not so much to prevent as to allow you, rather than your SP, to manage any congestion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco