cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Share a printer between VLAN's

coloradoruss
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SGE2000 switch and have two VLAN's created.  One is for my managed computers on a domain, and the other all other uncontroller computers such as laptops, etc.  I have a network printer that I would like to be accessible from both VLAN's.

How do I make it so that the VLAN's are isolated from each other but the printer is accessible on both?

Thanks

Russ

1 Reply 1

Daniel Mckibbin
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if these are features supported by this particular switch, but I can think of two ways; Private VLANS, and Routed ACL's

With Private VLANS a Primary and Multiple Secondary VLANS can be created. The Secondary VLANS can reach the Primary, but not each other, and the Primary can reach all secondaries. I believe with this solution the server can be placed within the Primary VLAN and the two vlans can be in seperate secondary vlans in order to isolate themselves for each other.

I'm assuming that you are using a router on a stick method, but if a multilayer switch is used in your distribution layer (if applicable) then this would work as well. You can have intervlan routing set up to route between vlans either through SVI's or router on a stick, and apply access-lists on the SVI or subinterface for a vlan permitting or denying traffic to that vlan in an inbound or outbound direction. In this way you can have communication with the Server, but an access list is denying VLAN A traffic from accessing VLAN B and vice versa. It can also be set up so that VLAN A can reach VLAN B, but VLAN B can't reach VLAN A. A case of where this may be used is if payroll is to have access to users, but users not to payroll due to sensitive materials within there segmented portion of the network.

You may not want to take my advice as truth unless it can be confirmed. I'm still learning

Daniel

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card