cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Silly Question Time: Boot from Flash: or Compact Flash (Slot0:)?

mghampel52
Level 1
Level 1

If I have both options available to me...what is the "best practice" for booting?  From flash or compact flash?

I've always booted from flash but inherited some 3725s that were set to slot0:.

6 Replies 6

Alvaro Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest to keep a copy of the IOS on both, but confgure the router to boot from compact flash.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally the times i use compact flash are -

1) when there is no onboard flash (obviously )

2) when the onboard flash is not big enough for the image (common issue with 6500s)

If you have onboard flash and it will hold the image i would always use that if for not other reason than it removes the possibility of someone removing the compact flash card in which case when the device is rebooted it can't load an image.

Jon

mghampel52
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading the IOS on the devices and have put a copy on both the Flash and CF. I don't have any space problems.

Jon - I have it set they way you mention for exactly the reason that sometimes CF cards seem to grow legs.  My assumption (we know how that always works out) is that flash would be faster as it is onboard.

Alvaro - why the CF over the flash? 

Just for a matter of space.... the router may use the onboard flash to store other files like SDM or CCP files, voice data, etc. So I always like to keep enough room on flash to keep at least two IOS images in case of a upgrade or a recovery is necessary.

However, as mentioned previously, using the CF has the drawback that can be easily removed.

If you dont have problem with space in your onboard flash then keep the IOS on both and boot from flash:

mghampel52
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've played with the internal CF of the 2691, 3725 and 3745.  They're cool.  Just remove the s_crew and upgrade them internal CF to >1Gb and works!  I always put two or more IOS into the internal CF.  My "emergency kit" includes a 2Gb CF and a 2Gb USB drive with IOS to boot. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card