cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple queries - which switch to buy using cable internet and cat 6 ?

timdavies007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I run a small business in UK and I'm afraid not an expert on IT. I would like some assitance on what product(s) to buy.

I have broadband from my cable supplier and they provide a modem. Currently I have one main computer and two colleagues working on other computers via wirless.

I have had the wired cabling upgraded to cat 6. I will soon upgrade cable internet to 50mb or 100mb service. I want to have in total 7 computers running off the wired network.

I think a Cisco SG100D (8 port) switch would be suitable.(I don't need any management, just gigabit speed).

My questions:

1. Is the SG100D compatible with cat 6?
  2. Does this unit allow for high speed and some future proofing?
  3. Will I need to have a router inline before the switch? If so which model is recommended to maximise things?
  4. If I wanted to add wireless, would this work as a node off the switch or would it be inline before the switch? Many thnaks in anticipation.

Thanks

Tim

2 Replies 2

prasad.gsmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Data sheet is not so clear. But It says Cat 5 or better, hence I assume there is no issue with Cat 6 (as there cant be any issue with the twsiting standard)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10863/datasheet_C78-582017.html

Regarding the wireless router....

If the cable modem itself is of higher end model with Wireless and routing function, thats better. I am sure your ISP will have one. Ask for it.

It is better to have SG with 16 port to avoid any fork lift upgrade :-)

with a 16 port switch, and a good firewall + Wireless router as Modem, you are good to run for minimum 1.5 - 2 years. When you think about high availability and load sharing, we will expand this network without down time in future :-)

regards

Prasad.K

Sakun Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This switch is gigabit switch which support upto 1000 Mbps per port. So you need to use Cat 6 cable with RJ-45 connector, as Cat 5 cable does not support 1000 Mbps speed, it only supports 100 Mbps speed.

I didn't get about your Internet connection speed - 50 to 100 Mbps connection plan or speed of you Internet link??

Your ISP will install a router at your end (sometimes called Modem also) which will be connected to 1 of your switch port from which all other uses will connect to Internet.

In case of wireless you got choices, either you purchase switch with 8 port gigabit ethernet connections and wireless module or ask your ISP to provide Wireless based Modem (Router). If you want to attach additional wireless access point then it can also be attached directly to your switch on 1 of its port.

As you are saying that you need to use 7 connection and 1 for modem / router, in that case your 8 port switch will be full and for further connection you need to install another switch and inter-connect them by simple Cat 6 cable, so if you are sure about 7 connection and for future scalability its better that you purchase 16 port Gigabit Switch.

--

Regards

Sakun Sharma

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card