Views
Helpful
Replies

Single mode fiber cable on multimode sfp's

selby maake
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

i'm going to make a connection between 2 cisco 2960 switches with GLC-SX-MMD multimode sfp's and i mistakenly ordered single mode fibre cables and i'm not sure if this will work. Please advice

3 Replies 3

Andre Neethling
Level 4
Level 4

HI. I don't think MM sfp's are compatible with Single Mode cable. The core is just too small. Just order multi mode cables.

Thanks Andre

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

In short, yes, it will work, multi mode has a bigger core then single mode, hence the wave forms of light "bounce" bigger waves then single mode and therefore go for shorter distance. Over 80 metres, as long as you're SFP are cheap and nasty, and it's a good fibre path, I think you would get away with it, but I would suggest for the long term to look at a more permanent and better solution, basically the correct media.

Ideally I would suggest you get a SM SFP, however I know they cost 4-8 times more then MM (Cisco anyway).

The other optional is a fibre conditioning cable, basically it goes in SM and out MM, again quite expensive for a cable but cheaper then a SFP.

Please rate post if its helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: