Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow File transfer speed in same vlan of 6509 Switch

Jayesh Rajan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am getting very slow window file transfer speed (4 Mbps per second) between two connecting servers in Cisco 6509 switch. I have connect the two laptops in 6509 switch in same module using the same vlan and try to copy the files from one laptop to another and vice versa and got the same speed on 4 to 5 Mbps per second.

Switch utilization is not more than 10% and both the laptops are connected in 1 Gbps full duplex.

I have checked by removing the gateway in both laptop but the output is same.

Please suggest how to resolve this.

7 Replies 7

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jayesh,

Have you manually configured the speed to 1Gbps on both Laptop and Switch end? Or is auto negotiated? If it is autonegotiated try to set the speed and duplex manually on both switch and laptops ends and verify if that improves the transfer rates?

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Thansk for the response...

I have checked both the way by auto negotiation and by manuall configured port speed, but the result is same.

Hi Jayesh,

Hmmm....

What type of file are you trying to transfer? Is this a windows copy/past which you are trying to do? If so can you try with some external copy tool like TeraCopy rahter than native windows copy tool?

Regards

Najaf

Hi Jayesh,

Can you please change the ports between two ends and check.

1- Check the cable if possilbe change it.

2- Speed and duplex to be same

3-  Check changin the vlan to see wheather only specific vlan or all the vlans has the issue.

4- I am assuming tht you have already check the cpu at both the ends and its is low.

5- Can you paste the configuration of both the ports?

6- If possbile have these laptop connected between different modules.

7- How about ping packets? Does those go fine without any much delay?

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi,

Actually we are getting slow file copy speed in two servers of same range connected in the same module of switch.

To check the speed i have connected two laptops in the same module where server is connected, using standard company made patch cord and check the file copy speed. I am getting the same 4 mbps speed per second which i get in the servers.

I check the same buy connecting the two laptops in different module, conecting one laptop in one and other in second module but the result is same. I have check the same by manually configured switch port as a 1 gbps and full duplex and also by auto but not getting the desired output.

Ping packets are of 1 ms continuously.

Port configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet7/23
switchport
switchport access vlan 102
switchport mode access
end

Switch#show run int gi 7/24
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 101 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet7/24
switchport
switchport access vlan 102
switchport mode access
end

Hi Jayesh,

Could you please provide the output of "show interface status" & "show interface gix/x" and highlight where the two servers are conencted?

Also your interface configuration does not show the speed and duplex has been manually set.

It should have been

interface GigabitEthernet7/24

speed 1000

duplex full

Also could you please connect the laptops back to back using cross cable and try to do the file transfer and see how much speed your getting?

I'm affriad to say that previously when i tried this (back to back) with gig interface the maximum i could get was 8Mbps :-(

Regards

Najaf

Also you can try next step:

1. create new vlan for you test laptops.

2. put 2 ports in new vlan and connect laptops

3. test speed.

If you have same slow speed, download iperf and try testing. For example you use

http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php guide

If you get good results, you need check traffic(TCPWindos size or many broadcast in vlan). Also you can span traffic from one of interface and analyze it, Maybe you have small TCP window size

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card