Views
Helpful
Replies

slow file transfer speed over two vlans

ciscoreg2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys;

I have two vlans in my router, and I found different vlans file transfer speed  lower than same vlan. 

computers in vlan 172 speed can reach 100mbps

computers in vlan 172 and vlan 192 is only 30mbps

interface Vlan172

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip virtual-reassembly in

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

!         

interface Vlan192

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip virtual-reassembly in

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you using the same device to do the transfer for both vlans?

Are you using the same destination for both vlans?

HTH

yes, same computer, same conf, just changed its IP address.

ciscoreg2,

Which device are we using here? Also, please SPAN port while file transfer and try to match how much byte of data is transferred, it may be padding. But need to look into captures.

Regards,

Vivek Sharma

Hi ALL,

I tested on switch found speed is normal.

Is it because ehwic-4esg card performance poorer than switch? 

Because I connected computers to ehwic-4esg on the router.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, an ISR switch module might offer lower performance than a L2 switch, but if you're using an ISR for VLAN routing, many do not have the performance capacity for LAN routing (as they were designed for slower WAN connections).

For LAN routing, for performance, you'll often want to use a L3 switch.

Is that anyway to optimize ISR switch module for VLAN routing?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, if your ISR supports it, use a module that does L3 switching on the module.

router model: 1941. Is it support?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Not sure.  The following is the datasheet link for L3 ISR switch modules, but it may predate the 1941.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

I think currently my conf is using L3 switch right? I setup different interfaces to different vlans;

interface Vlan172

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

!         

interface Vlan192

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Maybe not, if your VLAN interfaces are defined on the ISR, itself, it would be what's performing L3 forwarding between VLANs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card