cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small buffer misses

tylerlucas
Level 1
Level 1

One of our routers is getting a lot of small buffer misses each day. Thousands.

I'm not seeing ANY medium buffer misses, so it looks like when they miss the small buffer, they hit a medium buffer without incident.

Should I increase the size of the small buffer queue to help this out? We have a lot of voice traversing this router, so that likely is the cause of so many small packets.

What kind of impact can this cause?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Buffer miss is not a problem as the next higher size buffer (medium) is taken and there is no impact. But if you see buffer failures, it is a problem.

If all you see are buffer misses you can safely ignore. However buffer tuning is possible and is documented at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_tech_note09186a0080093fc5.shtml

Hope this helps.

Shashank

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Buffer miss is not a problem as the next higher size buffer (medium) is taken and there is no impact. But if you see buffer failures, it is a problem.

If all you see are buffer misses you can safely ignore. However buffer tuning is possible and is documented at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_tech_note09186a0080093fc5.shtml

Hope this helps.

Shashank

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

Hi,

I have faced the same situation and get resolved by increase the small buffer size to some extend.

Also you can enable to buffer auto tune in your router.

Please use the below two command sto increase the small buffer size and to enable buffer auto tune.

#buffers small size ***size***
#buffers tune automatic

Regards,

Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card