Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing on Cisco 3850

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Recently I just upgraded my 3850 switch from 16.3.7 to 16.9.6. When I issued show version after the upgrade, I noticed the smart license status is on UNREGISTERED/EVAL MODE.

Show Version.PNG

I noticed that the old lanbase license is still there. But I am not familiar with this smart licensing issue. I read the cisco documentation for smart licensing, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_3850_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html#reference_u2z_11z_m2b,. The web page explains how to generate the token then issuing "license smart register idtoken" command.

Is the activation is that simple? Will the switch reload after the activation process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@fdharmawan wrote:

Is the activation is that simple?

No, it is not.  It is very convoluted and can be daunting.  And no, I wish I was joking.  

NOTE:  The commands are easy.  It is the setting up of the Smart Accounts which requires someone with a sane mind, a Nobel Prize in Licensing, multiple PhDs and a CCIE Enterprise in Smart License.    

@fdharmawan wrote:

Will the switch reload after the activation process?

The switch/stack will not reload when Cisco Smart License is enabled.  

I have a very good solution:  Do not do anything.  When the countdown timer hits "0" nothing happens.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@fdharmawan wrote:

Is the activation is that simple?

No, it is not.  It is very convoluted and can be daunting.  And no, I wish I was joking.  

NOTE:  The commands are easy.  It is the setting up of the Smart Accounts which requires someone with a sane mind, a Nobel Prize in Licensing, multiple PhDs and a CCIE Enterprise in Smart License.    

@fdharmawan wrote:

Will the switch reload after the activation process?

The switch/stack will not reload when Cisco Smart License is enabled.  

I have a very good solution:  Do not do anything.  When the countdown timer hits "0" nothing happens.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: