Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing on Cisco 3850

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Recently I just upgraded my 3850 switch from 16.3.7 to 16.9.6. When I issued show version after the upgrade, I noticed the smart license status is on UNREGISTERED/EVAL MODE.

Show Version.PNG

I noticed that the old lanbase license is still there. But I am not familiar with this smart licensing issue. I read the cisco documentation for smart licensing, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_3850_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html#reference_u2z_11z_m2b,. The web page explains how to generate the token then issuing "license smart register idtoken" command.

Is the activation is that simple? Will the switch reload after the activation process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@fdharmawan wrote:

Is the activation is that simple?

No, it is not.  It is very convoluted and can be daunting.  And no, I wish I was joking.  

NOTE:  The commands are easy.  It is the setting up of the Smart Accounts which requires someone with a sane mind, a Nobel Prize in Licensing, multiple PhDs and a CCIE Enterprise in Smart License.    

@fdharmawan wrote:

Will the switch reload after the activation process?

The switch/stack will not reload when Cisco Smart License is enabled.  

I have a very good solution:  Do not do anything.  When the countdown timer hits "0" nothing happens.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@fdharmawan wrote:

Is the activation is that simple?

No, it is not.  It is very convoluted and can be daunting.  And no, I wish I was joking.  

NOTE:  The commands are easy.  It is the setting up of the Smart Accounts which requires someone with a sane mind, a Nobel Prize in Licensing, multiple PhDs and a CCIE Enterprise in Smart License.    

@fdharmawan wrote:

Will the switch reload after the activation process?

The switch/stack will not reload when Cisco Smart License is enabled.  

I have a very good solution:  Do not do anything.  When the countdown timer hits "0" nothing happens.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card