Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP-Server on a 6509-E

Hi to you all,

I have a 6509-E Switch online nothing so far has given me any issues.

The IOS version i have is the following: Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

As for the Sup i have, i have the following:

NAME: "5", DESCR: "VS-S720-10G 5 ports Supervisor Engine 720 10GE Rev. 2.0"
PID: VS-S720-10G       ,                     VID: V02, SN: SAL12437LDL

Now, keep in mind we are a Hosting Provider. as such, i need to monitor traffic in this switch as its our core switch.

To this end i have a dedicated PRTG server monitoring the entire infrastructure, among them distribution switches, PDU's, core servers, etc.

I am not new to SNMP but no matter what i try, i cant poll the interfaces traffic via SNMP.

I can poll information such as the uptime, CPU load, overall system health, but not the traffic on each port, or ether-channel, etc.

After testing for 5 hours with different configuration options, i erased all the test config as far as SNMP goes, and only added the following line:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BORDER1#show run | inc snmp-server
snmp-server community <string> RO
BORDER1#

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This string is the same i have in the PRTG configuration. When i put an invalid string, the PRTG server tells me immediately that the password is wrong. But when i put in the valid community string, the PRTG remains truing to load the ports for literally 10 hours and nothing happens.

With other switches it only takes a few seconds and i can monitor every port with no problem. Not with the 6509-E though.

So, with that being said, i figured maybe one of you guys out there has run into an issue like this before and found the way to solve it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ezequiel

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards