is there anyone who can explain me:
1) SNMP trap and informs (the difference/similarity between them etc)?
2) And how to configure SNMPv3 on nexus switch? Or please explain me SNMP in general or can you give me a link to a good explained guide?
3) Do I have to configure SNMP community when I'm going to use only SNMP v3?
To answer your questions:
1) Both TRAP and INFORM messages are sent from an SNMP agent to a receiver, the only difference is that a reciver must send back an acknowledgment for an INFORM message.
2) Take a look at the extensive NX-OS guide here:
3) SNMP community strings are a SNMPv1/2 construct and are not used in SNMPv3.
The engineID is a unique character string used to identify the SNMP agent (ie, the switch). The localized-key is a user defined hex string between 10-130 characters in length, it can be omitted and it will be auto-generated.
The second passphrase is required when you choose to use priv .
The Authentication and Privacy (Encryption) passwords are separate strings and can/ should have different values.
Thank you all for the answer. I have one more question
Can you look at?
i'm migrating configs from 'Extreme networks' switch to the Nexus-6000 switch
In Extreme I have this config of SNMPv3:
* configure snmpv3 add community MainRO name MainRO user v1v2c_ro
* configure snmpv3 add target-addr v1v2cNotifyTAddr param v1v2cNotifyParam ipaddress 220.127.116.11 transport-port 162 vr VR-Default tag-list defaultNotify
* configure snmpv3 add target-params v1v2cNotifyParam user v1v2cNotifyUser mp-model snmpv2c sec-model snmpv2c sec-level noauth
How the config on nexus switch will look like?
what I have to configure? snmp user and host? From config of extreme what is user, what is password
HI this is all you need for s3 to work on NX below , admin snmp and your own snmp if required , then check with SHOW SNMP
snmp-server user admin network-admin auth md5 PUTPASSWORDHERE priv PUTPASSWORDHERE localizedkey
snmp-server user netadmin network-admin auth sha PUTPASSWORDHERE priv aes-128 PUTPASSWORDHERE localizedkey
thank you, Mark
and what about snmp-server host?
From extreme switch: configure snmpv3 add target-addr v1v2cNotifyTAddr param v1v2cNotifyParam ipaddress 18.104.22.168 transport-port 162 vr VR-Default tag-list defaultNotify
you can use it yes but its more optional for traps , we poll from the snmp station itself to the switch so we dont require it , there's a few options, if your sending trap/traffic then use the host command , but we get the system to poll us so dont need to use it