Views
Helpful
Replies

Software Maintenance to Catalyst 9200 in stack

bruno-correa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks, 

Does anyone know the process IOS XE upgrade to 9200 switches working in the stack?

Considering we've 6 stacks members, will we upgrade the ACTIVE member while others keep operational and then the other members will be upgraded one by one via the ACTIVE member? OR the 6 switches from the stack will upgrade at the same time causing unavailability during the upgrade process?

At the Cisco docs, I only found about "Auto-upgrade" feature which refers specifically to a new stack member added with software incompatibility on the current stack members.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you upgrade the stack they reboot required, if not you see version mismatch and not work.

best approach to reboot stack after upgrade.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-11/release_notes/ol-16-11-9200.html#task_eld_g4n_4gb

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you upgrade the stack they reboot required, if not you see version mismatch and not work.

best approach to reboot stack after upgrade.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-11/release_notes/ol-16-11-9200.html#task_eld_g4n_4gb

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear Balaji,

I really appreciate your post and shared links!

It means we should be really careful to use the stack as the only redundancy because the requirement to have the reload all the switches in the stack AT THE SAME TIME after the upgrade process it's big penalty to the network.

Have a great week!

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi its shows you how to upgarde a stack in this i know its a 93 doc but its same process , shows the process it goes through too the output you should see

he following example displays the installation of Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.1 software image:

Use the switch all option to upgrade all switches in your stack
Use the auto-copy option to copy the.bin image from flash: to all other switches in your stack
Switch# request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.06.01.SPA.bin auto-copy

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-9300.html

I realize I'm a little late to this party, but why can't Cisco implement a stacking technology where switches in the stack reboot in a rolling sequence? Similar to the way the Nexus platform treats FEX's??? Seems like it should be something relatively simple to implement.

Hi Poulid,

It's a good question, but I think only someone from Cisco can answer that. =)

sadwqeqasd23
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I understand that you're looking for information on the IOS XE upgrade process for 9200 switches working in a stack. While I'm not familiar with the specific process, I suggest reaching out to Shortpump maintenance service. They specialize in providing support for network-related issues, and their team of experts can help you with the upgrade process.

They can guide you through the steps required to upgrade the switches without causing any downtime or interruption to your network operations. Additionally, they can provide you with tips on how to optimize your network performance post-upgrade.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco