cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Solved] New 2960S switch, can't get Shortel phone to get configuration on it

Boutwell Owens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I'm a beginner.  We have Cisco switches (mostly 2960S) and using a Shortel phone system.  I needed to add a new switch, configured it, everything is fine except when I plug a phone into the new switch it's not getting the configuration.  Doing a show running-config I saw the existing switches have a Vlan 100 named Voice so I added that into the new switch.  When I plug in a Shortel phone the phone says the following:

• 802.1x authentication timeout
  • Acquiring DHCP lease
  • DHCP response timeout
  • VLAN hopping to option 156 VLAN
  • Lost DHCP lease

(It should then say DHCP acquired and boot) the new switch the Phone at this point goes into No Service mode.

Know what setting on the new switch I need to change for it to work?  I've spent many hours and can't find what's wrong.  Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Kevin Martin
Level 1
Level 1
Can you share your switch config and well as network layout?
***Please Mark and Rate helpful posts***

Hello,

the basic switchport configuration would look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10
switchport voice vlan 20

spanning-tree portfast

I think option 156 needs to be enabled for both the data and the voice Vlan. The Shortel DHCP server config needs the string below:

ftpservers=x.x.x.x,layer2tagging=1,vlanid=20

Boutwell Owens
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, the issue was none of the ports were configured and they need to be in trunkport mode.  Since I was just adding a switch to an existing configured & running network with existing VoIP functioning I didn't need to create a DHCP scope for voice with the ftp command, nor put settings in the firewall, etc they were entered already.  But adding a switch to an existing functional network with VoIP working I just had to do the following to the switch

1. Make sure you have the voice vlan, in our case our voice vlan is 100 and named Voice
         # config term

(config)#  vlan 100 name Voice 
  2. Now need to set ports to trunkport mode select range by entering
         (config)#  interface range gigabitEthernet 1/0/1-48 (or 24 instead of 48 if a 24 port)
  3. Change all the ports mode to trunk
         (config-if-range)#  switchport mode trunk  (be aware this will disconnect/reconnect everything in switch and take a minute)
  4. (config-if-range)#  exit
  5. # write mem

That's it, the phones plugged into the switch now get their configuration.  Thanks all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: