Views
Helpful
Replies

some doubt partining to IOS - 4506

sayhi2shashi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are planning to upgrading the 4006 (End of life) switch to 4506,we want to make use only baldes from existing 4006 and change everything which includes chasies, Powersupply and Sup Engine (will be changed with 4506)

I have attached the part number and the description of the part number along with this mail.

My Question

1) what is the differce between

S4KL3- 12220EW and S4KL3E-12220EW.

2) out of these two which is the advances/updated IOS.

3)since its found that above mentioned IOS cost very much. might be it has advances feature that might be reason behind. Can't i make use WS-X4515 i.e

Catalyst 4500 Supervisor IV (2 GE),Console(RJ-45) and run some basic IOS (whic vendor will provider free) which support dynamic routing protocol like OSPF and other stuff.

4) can u suggest me some IOS for this

configuaration

1 Reply 1

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Please see the answers:

1. S4KL3- 12220EW is standard image with has basic routing like RIP and static routing features While the S4KL3E-12220EW is an enhanced image will full routing capabilties EIGRP/OSPF/BGP.

2. Ehanced is the advanced IOS.

3. The basic IOS will not have the OSPF and other dynamic routing protocol. You have to have the enhanced image of that.With basic IOS you can achieve basic inter-vlan and static routing.

4. The IOS is the one which is mentioned above.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet0900aecd8035cf2b.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco