cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

some questions about native vlan and vlan 1

kirkster
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, These are relatively simple questions but can someone conform for me please?

1. VTP is carried in vlan 1. CDP in vlan 1. Show VTP status says "lowest updater vlan ID....." Does this mean these protocols will be carried in the lowest number vlan? Why can't I configure this explicitly?

2. I remove vlan 1 from my trunks (trunk allowed command). CDP and VTP still work. Why? Best practises say dont use vlan 1 !!! Contradictions !!!!!

3. This will create a campus wide vlan 1 !!!! How to stop this and creating a potentially large broadcast storm in vlan 1 killing all bandwdith on the uplinks ??

4. I create a native vlan xxx. I need to allow vlan xxx on my trunk allowed statements? Does xxx need to be created on the switches? I find it works without being created but wondering....????

I know these are quite basic questions but when you don't do campus switched networks regularly they are important and the info on cco seems a bit fuzzy.

Thankyou,

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve,

Yes if you remove vlan 1 from trunk cdp,ctp will go on vlan 1 and these features will still work. Now with PVST+ all vlans will run their own STP instance so your switch will be root bridge for multiple vlans but for vlan 1 STP BPDUs will not cross switches so their STP is restircted to that local switch which does not bring any danger indication to me atleast :)

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steve,

VTP,CDP,PAGP,LACP,DTP all these protocols which you can say are management protocol are always carried in vlan 1 even if you remove vlan 1 form the trunk.

VLAN 1 minimization feature was introduced to provide a flexibility to remove vlan 1 from trunks so that no user traffic (including spanning-tree advertisements) is sent or received on VLAN 1.

What you have mentioned in your first question does not mean that lowest vlan id had updated VTP information actually last output from "sh vtp status" gives you an information that which switch had last updaed the VTP informaton on your switch and it displays the ip address of the updater switch.

You can have a look at this link and serach for "minimization" word in the document

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12240se/scg1/swvlan.htm#

HTH

Ankur

Thanks Ankur,

even if VLAN 1 not allowed on trunk, if I place 2 PC's in vlan 1 and ping across trunk it works !!!

This means campus wide vlan 1 against the best practises !!

This is not very clear. I will look at minimisation feature. However, what are the effects of just switching the vlan 1 off ?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

As you said vlan 1 is not allowed on the trunk and you place pc 1 on switch 1 on vlan 1 and pc2 on switch 2 on vlan 1, they can ping? They should not and if they are pinging something fishy happeneing which need to be tracked.

Once vlan 1 is removed from trunk no user traffic including STP should pass the trunk and only management/control traffic will pass on vlan 1.

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks again ankur.

So if I remove vlan 1 from teh trunk, cdp, vtp etc will still go down vlan 1? When Vlan 1 removed these featires still work so answer must be yes.

I can conform that with vlan 1 not allowed on trunk then STP does not go down trunk either and all vlan 1 switches think they are the root bridge.

However, this still leaves us wit vlan 1 spanning the campus yes?

Hi Steve,

Yes if you remove vlan 1 from trunk cdp,ctp will go on vlan 1 and these features will still work. Now with PVST+ all vlans will run their own STP instance so your switch will be root bridge for multiple vlans but for vlan 1 STP BPDUs will not cross switches so their STP is restircted to that local switch which does not bring any danger indication to me atleast :)

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks Ankur,

Thats answered those questions.

As far as native vlan concerned, I have found as long as it matches both ends the not problems. Even if the vlan does not exist.

Why is teh native vlan so important and why do the best practises say change from teh default? I am thinking make native strange vlan and not routable.

Thanks again Ankur you are a star !!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for rating my post and your positive comments.

I am not sure if you have already read this link but incase not this has lot of points about vlan security and may be your question about native vlan will be answered

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008013159f.shtml#

If not then we can discuss on same forum.

Regards,

Ankur

Let me tell you a cautionary tale. Be very cautious about removing the native VLAN from a trunk. In some switches, if you remove the native VLAN from the trunk, then VLAN 1 BPDUs are not passed. That's fine if your native VLAN is 1 - the trunk does not pass VLAN BPDUs, but it does not pass VLAN 1 traffic either. Great.

But suppose you had decided to have a totally unused gash VLAN just to act as native for the trunks - in other words tag everything. You remove VLAN 42 from an access switch uplink trunk and you think you are OK. You remove VLAN 42 from the other uplink, and suddenly your network goes into meltdown. What has happened is that in removing VLAN 42 from the trunks, the trunks are no longer passing VLAN 1 BPDUs, but they are still passing VLAN 1 traffic. Result: meltdown.

Cisco eventually fixed this bug in IOS versions, but they never fixed it in CatOS.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin,

You saying that teh native vlans actually carries the BPDUs?

I don't know technically whether to say "The native VLAN carries the BPDUs (for VLAN 1)", or "BPDUs for VLAN 1 are untagged".

I have not done a snoop to find out, when your native VLAN is, say, 42, whether VLAN 1 BPDUs are tagged, but I suspect they are not. I admit I never have been clear about this. I must get busy with a sniffer some time.

But I do know from bitter experience that in CatOS, if you clear the native VLAN from a trunk, then VLAN 1 BPDUs are no longer passed.

Perhaps the best person to answer this would be Francois Tallet. I believe there is also a document that answers these questions.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Steve,

Yes Native vlan does carries BPDUs but only for native vlan itself and that too untagg.

There are some variations about how BPDUs are sent when vlan 1 is native vlan and when vlan 1 is not a native vlan.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00801d11a0.shtml#topic1

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card