cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Span ports - multiple sources to single destination port on 3750s

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

Guys, I am looking at a requirement to monitor two ports to a single destination port.

The two ports are on different 3750s, so RSPAN would be needed, but one of the ports is on the same switch as the destination port, and I have a nagging thoought that may not be allowed.

So switch 1, source innterface f1/0/1

switch switch 2, source int f1/0/1 target F1/0/4.

On switch one I can go:

vlan123

remote-vlan

mon sess 1 source int f1/0/1

mon sess 1 des rem vlan 123

Switch 2 is this allowed?:

vlan123

remote-vlan

mon sess 2 des int f1/0/4

Thanks,

Paul.

5 Replies 5

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

There is no need to add vlan 123 to Switch 2 if VTP is running.  The RSPAN vlan is handled just like any other vlan and will be learned by client switches in the same VTP domain.  Use a 2nd monitor session to deliver the RSPAN vlan traffic to your Sniffer.  So, your config should look more like this:

Switch 1:

vlan123

remote-vlan

Switch 2:

mon sess 2 source rem vlan 123

mon sess 2 dest int fa1/0/4

Please rate if helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion - it was only after submitting and looking a little later I realised the omission I had mad. My concern is more on a 3750, can I span a local port into an rspan VLAN, *and* pull the rspan VLAN out to a destination on the same switch?

Yes, you will be able to accomplish this with no problem on a 3750.

Please rate helpful posts.

Again, thanks fr tat. Looking at the details, I was expecting the source ports to be access ports, b

ut it now appears they are trunks. Is there any issue with spanning a trunk port over

rspan?

You can do this, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you implement vlan filters to it.  If you're monitoring a trunk port to a RSPAN vlan, that RSPAN vlan will pretty much be monitoring itself, which creates a virtual monitoring loop and will eventually hault your switch.  Read up here:

Vlan filtering

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1200141

Configuring Vlan Filtering 3750

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1210225

Please rate if helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card