cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree instance for vlan does not exist

Eng_manar88
Level 1
Level 1

I need your help as by default cisco switches have only 3 modes (pvst+ ,pvst ,MST) and i have more than 200 vlans per switch when i configured the below spanning-tree it shows no spanning-tree on some vlans although i need to be enabled for all of the, same happened on all other switches and when i tried to

#show spanning-tree vlan 198

#Spanning tree instance(s) for vlan 198 does not exist.

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

no spanning-tree vlan 198-201,789-790,831,930,932-933 

spanning-tree vlan 2-4094 priority 28672

Is there any workaround for this

15 Replies 15

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Spanning tree instance(s) for vlan 198 does not exist

Make sure VLAN 198 actually exists on the switch, if not, created it and then try the command again.

config t

vlan 198

description a test vlan

exit

show spanning-tree vlan 198

HTH

I did that and it's exist but not included in spanning tree

Can you post the output of "show vlan"?

HTH

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

according to the config snippet in your post, this is normal as you have told the switch to NOT run spanning tree on vlan 198

How come ? I configured on the switch spanning-tree vlan 2-4094
So how i didnt match those vlans ?

the line 

spanning-tree vlan 2-4094 priority 28672

is only setting the priority for these vlans if they exist and are keeping a tree

the line right above that

says don't keep a tree for these vlans

Thats created by the switch not me please read the question carefully as im
not able to allow the stp on them

Hello

What type of switches are your running, As with that amount of vlans its possible you may have exceeded your vlan or logical stp virtual port limitation!

sh ver
sh vlan brief
sh spanning-tree summary total

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

#show version

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 52 WS-C3650-48TD 03.06.04.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

Also i have cisco 9300 series and the same issue as all the models for cisco switches no longer support more than 3 modes for STP

#show vlan brief \\ i have more than 200 due to my environment needed and spanning-tree is running on most of them and not the others up to 128 only as per instance.

#show spanning-tree summary totals
Switch is in pvst mode
Root bridge for: VLAN0012, VLAN0030
Extended system ID is enabled
Portfast Default is disabled
PortFast BPDU Guard Default is disabled
Portfast BPDU Filter Default is disabled
Loopguard Default is disabled
EtherChannel misconfig guard is enabled
UplinkFast is disabled
BackboneFast is disabled
Configured Pathcost method used is short

Name Blocking Listening Learning Forwarding STP Active
---------------------- -------- --------- -------- ---------- ----------
128 vlans 0 0 0 258 258

Hello

The reason why its not showing is youve disabled spanning-tree for vlan 198 also other vlans, its need to be enabled and either allowed over the trunk or assigned to an active access-port for it to show active

@Eng_manar88 wrote:

the line 

spanning-tree vlan 2-4094 priority 28672 <-- this justs provides an stp priority to vlans it doesnt make them active

is only setting the priority for these vlans if they exist and are keeping a tree

the line right above that

no spanning-tree vlan 198-201,789-790,831,930,932-933 <- stp for these vlans is disabled

says don't keep a tree for these vlans

Name        Blocking Listening Learning Forwarding STP Active
---------------------- -------- --------- -------- ---------- ----------
128 vlans    0              0               0           258               258 

looks like you have 128 vlans with 2x trunks and maybe 2 x non trunking ports on this switch totalling 258 active logical stp instances

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Again, I didn't place that configuration it has been done by the switch itself.Also i configured not only the priority but also

spanning-tree vlan 2-4094 root-primary ----> per root switch and similarly on the secondary switch but it will not show on the running configuration.

Meanwhile i have many trunk ports some of them allow specific vlans and others 4 links must pass the trunks as simple as the below topology

topolgy.PNG

cyril.vaudescal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

there is actually a limit for the maximum number of spanning-tree instance the switch can run on PVST+ or rapid-PVST+.

For example on some platforms you can't exceed the amount of 128 vlan spanning-tree instances (3560, 3750, 3850...)

Beyond that, vlans can still be created, but without any spanning-tree protection. Beware of the loops then

C.

IF YOU issue  #spanning-tree Vlan X BUT the Vlan instance doesn't exist 

====>>> the simple fix to this issue  is that all the interconnected switches must be in a trunk mode

The Catalyst 3650 has a limit of 128 STP instances when in Rapid PVST+ mode.

Layer 2/3 Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Release 3SE (Catalyst 3650 Switches) - Configuring Spanning Tree Protocol [Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches] - Cisco

You can create more than 128 VLANs, however STP won't run on any over 128 when in Rapid PVST+ mode.

Why do you need so many VLANs on a C3650?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card