spanning-tree mode command

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a C2960X.  I enter spanning-tree mode ?.  The options are:

mst

pvst

rapid-pvst

I'd like to seek some clarification on the last two options. 

1.  What I understand is that using this pvst command will implement a Cisco version of STP/802.1d and will indicate ieee on show span.  But I suspect this is actually using pvst+, even though it says pvst.  I'm assuming that pvst is no longer in use on modern Cisco switches as it can't run 802.1q trunks, but it still calls itself pvst even though it is really pvst+ that is being used.  On the other hand, it seems odd that Cisco would not be able to keep track of it's own naming conventions.  I understand it is common to refer to pvst+ as pvst, though technically this is incorrect, but that might explain why Cisco is calling pvst+ the incorrect name.  What's really going on?

2.  I understand the rapid-pvst option refers to 802.1w/rstp.  I understand this will display on show span as rstp. What i'm not clear on is if this is if this is rapid-pvst or rapid-pvst+?

1 Reply 1

Hi Waterbird

There's a pretty clear and concise response to this confusing area in the two solutions on this previous thread.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/pvst-rstp-and-rapid-pvst/td-p/1459012

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card