Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

Spanning Tree Portfast

Hi !

as far as i know that portfast should be configured only on an access link !

i don't get exactly the point of it ...

for example lets say i want to send a frame from PC1 (that is connected to SW1) to PC2 (that is connected to SW2) ... even if portfast was configured on the access ports connected to both PCs , dont i have to wait for the switches to exchange BPDU and go through Listening and Learning states before my frame would be delivered to PC2 ?

sorry if my question wasn't clear ... my english is not that good !

Thank you 

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Advocate

Re: Spanning Tree Portfast

Hi @majdaldeensaqer ,

You are right.

The detail is that the links between network devices, such as between switches, are permanent, so the spanning-tree process would only be done once.

On the contrary, the links between network devices and end devices is not permanent, so waiting for the spanning-tree process every time a new device is connected is what you avoid when entering the portfast command.

Regards

VIP Expert

In addition to what Luis described, having portfast on (generally) the (user) edge ports also avoids sending topology change notifications as the edge port goes up or down.
4 REPLIES 4
Advocate

Hi @majdaldeensaqer ,

You are right.

The detail is that the links between network devices, such as between switches, are permanent, so the spanning-tree process would only be done once.

On the contrary, the links between network devices and end devices is not permanent, so waiting for the spanning-tree process every time a new device is connected is what you avoid when entering the portfast command.

Regards

VIP Expert

In addition to what Luis described, having portfast on (generally) the (user) edge ports also avoids sending topology change notifications as the edge port goes up or down.

Thank You very much ... all clear now !

thank you ! ^^
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards