Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Protocol Configuration

caseypanotes
Level 1
Level 1

SampleNetwork_STP.JPG

Hi,

I have attached a sample network in this case there are two switch that is connected to other switch.

Where should I configure STP or enable the STP? Or All switch device must have an enabled STP configuration?

6 Replies 6

no need config it enable by default 

by default new cisco switches enabled the STP. you do not need specific config to enable it.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Khaled Douma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It is enabled by default, as you can see in the diagram above the orange link color, that is where the STP block happens to prevent any loop.

KD

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I have attached a sample network in this case there are two switch that is connected to other switch."

And all these switch attachments are in the same L2 domain?  If so, yes you would need (some variant of) STP (or perhaps something like Cisco's FlexLink configured).

"Where should I configure STP or enable the STP?"

As others have already noted, STP is enabled by default ([edit] on Cisco switches), but the default STP is generally better reconfigured to use a "better" STP variant and/or possibly with additional non-default STP options.

"Or All switch device must have an enabled STP configuration?"

Yes, generally some STP variant should be enabled on all switches, even when there's no, intentional, L2 loops.

BTW, Cisco's STP implementation and other vendor's STP implementation don't always play nice together generally because Cisco's STP is per-VLAN while many other vendors is per L2 device.  (I.e. sometimes you need to run the STP MST variant when using mixed vendor devices.)

Hello
You should enable  on all switches and have switch 1 as the stp root.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card