cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Reconvergence

adamsieting
Level 1
Level 1

I just have a quick scenerio that I want to confirm. Lets say I have a full spanning tree reconvergences happen, will that affect intra-switch networking? Basically if I have two host sharing the same switch will they still be able to communicate while the switch is trying to reconverge? I believe they would but I want to confirm that.

Thanks.

Adam

3 Replies 3

rparames
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adam,

When you have a full spanning tree convergence, non edge ports go through various states(blocking/listening/learning/forwarding).

If the 2 hosts connected to same switch have "spanning-tree portfast" configured so that the port goes directly to forwarding,they will be able to communicate while the spanning tree reconverge

-Rahul

Hi  Adam,

As rahul suggested, those two host will be able to communicate with each other; however if they would try to communicate with any other host NOT on that switch, it won't be possible.

Regards,

Smitesh

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

As Rahul said if the two switch ports connecting to host is configured  with command "spanning-tree portfast" then during STP convergence the  host's can communicate, provided both host's are in same VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card