Views
Helpful
Replies

speed challenge.

Manish Manwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am facing slow data transfer in my LAN. In the LAN I have one Cisco 3850 L3 switch connected to Cisco 2960 L2 switch in another block through fiber link. When we transfer file from Server to PC I am getting about 1 MB/sec to 2 MB/sec and if we transfer file from PC to server then speed is 90 to 100 Mbps.

THANKS
MANISH MANWAL
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, drops seem to be a problem. You need to align your hardware selection and either use single or multi-mode:

• Multi-mode cable end-to-end and SX optics, or
  • Single-mode cable end-to-end and LX/LH optics

The selection is usually based on the availability of installed cable and the distance that you need to go.

Hope this helps,

Dave

View solution in original post

backbone is single mode. so we need to change fiber patch cable from LIU to switch. multi mode to single mode. right?
THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you do the file upload/download, as close to the server as you can an make the components in the path shorter.

because this is not necessarily a network problem. can you pump the file from one server to the other on the same host?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

when i am transfer file between servers that are connected int same switch then speed is more then 500 Mbps. the problem in up-link fiber. connected to our core switch.
is that any problem if we have fiber backbone is single mode but Patch cable is multi mode
THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

What is the transfer speed from a PC to PC (same switch) vs server to server (same switch)?

Wait ... server?  Connected to a 3850?  

servers connected to switch 2960, then switch 2960 connected to 3850. server to server speed is more the 500 Mbps.
THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

Send us config of fibre link port and interface stats. See if its clocking up errors. Cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

please find the attachment for port stats and port config. in both switch

THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

Yes, drops seem to be a problem. You need to align your hardware selection and either use single or multi-mode:

• Multi-mode cable end-to-end and SX optics, or
  • Single-mode cable end-to-end and LX/LH optics

The selection is usually based on the availability of installed cable and the distance that you need to go.

Hope this helps,

Dave

backbone is single mode. so we need to change fiber patch cable from LIU to switch. multi mode to single mode. right?
THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

Hi Manish,

That is correct, but you will also have to change the SFPs to single-mode ones (1000BaseLX). The part code is GLC-LH-SM.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Hello

You may also consider using mode conditioning cabling, These can be used in certain circumstances between SM/MM fibre patching

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card