cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spine Leaf VXLAN help?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

I am trying to build a Spine Leaf lab topology. Does anyone happen to have a good guide I can refer too? I am kinda confused with certain things.

So far I am using the following:

Overlay:
Use VXLAN/EVPN

Underlay:
OSPF - routing

BGP
ECMP - for load sharing

One question I have is are the VXLAN configs (VTEPs, VNI, etc) just entered on the leaves?

Can I simply swap out OSPF with EIGRP and is that really recommended if a Data Center is not planed to scale too large especially if Vmotion will not cross the WAN or something?

12 Replies 12

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

You should find most of the answer here.

http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net/2015/eur/pdf/BRKDCT-3378.pdf

Thanks I was referring to this as well as other sources.

One thing I am not sure about, are the VXLANs, VNI, VTEPS only configured on the leafs or are they on the spines as well?

The Spine does not contain VNI's. It is usually configured as BGP RR or RP for Multicast core.

Thanks
--Vinit

So based on what I see in certain docs, I see OSPF, BGP, EVPN, and PIM used on the spines or am I mistaken.

If this is the case, I would create P2P connections on the leaves and join them to via OSPF to the spines?

I would create all VXLAN configs on the leaves?

Would you say using EIGRP instead of OSPF is ok if the data center is not planned to scale out to large especially from DC to DC across a WAN?

The spines are there to provide connectivity between the leaf switches. OSPF/ISIS is a better option as Underlay IGP or you can also use EBGP as your underlay.

Yes, all the VNI related configs and NVE (overlay) interface on Leaf switches.

Thanks
--Vinit

Oh ok I was thinking EBGP had to be used along with OSPF/ISIS, etc. for certain reasons.

So would you say configuring OSPF and multicast for underlay - VXLAN configs on leafs is all that is really needed?

Do you happen to have a good example configs I can refer to?

You can check out my cisco live presentation on Troubleshooting VXLAN EVPN which also covers Configuration.

Session ID - BRKDCN-3040

Hope this helps.

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi so I have a couple questions.

Per your presentation, if I have the following on the leaf:

Vlan 200
vn-segment 20000

Vrf context EVPN-TENANT
vni 20000
rd 20000:1
address-family ipv4 unicast
 route-target import 20000:1
route-target import 20000:1 evpn
route-target export 20000:1
route-target export 20000:1 evpn

Vlan 300
vn-segment 30000

I don’t create another VNI under another Vrf for Vlan 300 or for each additional VLAN I create I just add more route-taget import/export statements under Vrf context EVPN-TENANT ?

If this is for a data center with just 1 tenant each leaf switch still has to have another vrf mapped to a VNI? So I have numerous VLANs that I would like to create basically for 1 tenant in my topology.

Help anyone??

Hi

Sorry for the late response. Been busy with Cisco Live and other work, so couldnt reply you early.

As mentioned before, you can only have 1 L3 VNI per tenant and multiple L2 VNI's. If you are having a multi-tenancy environment, then you need to create separate L3 VNI's for each Tenant.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if that answers your question.

Thanks
--Vinit

Hey no worries and thanks for getting back to me.

Ok I see. Yes my infrastructure will be for only 1 tenant.

I am looking for a good video on configuring VXLAN architecture within the DCNM controller.

The following on Cisco live only has the power point when you click on the presentation link.

Any good or video type resource you could point for this?

https://clnv.s3.amazonaws.com/2018/eur/pdf/LTRDCT-3161.pdf

Right now I am trying to configure things so it has a good flow and was wondering if you could give a little advice in regards to VXLAN..

So let' say I have the following:

Network ID:50500

Network Name: Test_50500

VRF Name: TestVRF_50500

VLAN ID: 500

SVI IP: 172.16.50.1

Is this a good practice so things can be remembered better?

Where I am troubled, what subnets  to people usually use for vlans abouv 255 because obviously know octect can be 256. What if it is vlan 1200 or 10200?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card