cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH Version 2 - Crypto Key

saminda
Level 1
Level 1

An IE-5000 switch was configured offline with SSH V2. Later it was connected to the domain it supposed to connect. SSH was working fine. The configuration was fully saved.

Thereafter there were several quick power resets, even before fully booting after a power reset there was another power reset etc., Later it was noticed that all except SSH was working. 

I logged into the switch using a console connection and observed that the Crypto key was not generated then. Eventhough I reload the switch it did not solve the problem. When I generated the crypto key again SSH started working. 

Any advise or suggestions on what could have happened would be highly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

for generating the crypto key, both hostname and domain name are used. (gives the key a "name")

when changing the domainname you should generate a new key and save the configuration.
my guess is after reboot there is no key for the new domainname (but still for the old?)

what key is active for ssh will show in the output from "show ip ssh" 

Thanks for the reply. 

When I configured the ssh previously domain name was configured as well although it was not connected to the domain. Also before power cycling SSH was working when connected to the domain.

Will it has any effect of "no ip domain-name lookup" command?

>>> Will it has any effect of "no ip domain-name lookup" command? <<

not regarding the ssh key!

(no) ip domain lookup is to be able to use hostnames instead IP address in CLI commands

(ping www.google.com versus ping 8.8.8.8)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card