Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack between 24port and 48port switches

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys,

I want to ask you, Can I make stack between two differents port switches nomber (one 24port and 48port)? and what specifications shall I take care about it?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohammad

Yes you can do that. Stacking a 24 port 3750x and a 48 port 3750x works fine but you need to make sure they run the same IOS.

You also need to consider what switch is going to be the Master in the stack and how the uplink (s) will work.

Haihua Rong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mohammad,

It is as easy as plugging in the cables if you have have 3750G,3750v2 or 3750, 2960 switches.

A little different if you have 3750E, 3750X, 2960S because they use a universal image, specific features are unlocked depending the license installed.

E.g.

You have 3750x-48 running with LAN BASE and a 3750x-24 running IPBASE:

I would like to mention that a mixed feature Switch stack is not supported. A Switch Running a LAN Base license can only be stacked with another Switch running LAN Base license only.

Solution:

Purchase an IPBASE license for the 3750x-48 switch :-D

Workaround: Activate the temporal ipbase license and you will have 8.5 weeks to purchase a permanent.

Following is a link for reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Haihua

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: