Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack cable replacement

rickybroomfield
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a 2-switch stack connected with 2 stack cables.

We are seeing intermittent stack port flapping up/down log messages on one of the links and would like to replace one of the stack cables.

Can this be done without any downtime on either of the switches?

All replies appreciated.

Thank you.

Ricky

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Only if the switches have another stack cable that keeps them in the stack if the switch only has 1 stack cable an you remove it switch will be removed from the stack

If you remove it from just 1 switch only that switch will be effected in the stack no others

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Only if the switches have another stack cable that keeps them in the stack if the switch only has 1 stack cable an you remove it switch will be removed from the stack

If you remove it from just 1 switch only that switch will be effected in the stack no others

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have 2 3750X series switches, connected to each other with two stack cables.

I want to hot swap the cable between switch1-stackport2 and switch2-stackport1

I will leave the cable between switch1-stackport1 and switch2-stackport2 in place throughout.

I just wanted to confirm that i can do this live, without any issues?

Many thanks,

Ricky

I have taken stack cables out of 3750x a few times live so you should be ok once you keep one between the pair , you should always plan a maintenance window just in case anyway

Yes, should be OK.  But since it's not affecting production, do it at noon, or 5:00, or some other less critical time.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Depends on the hardware.  I recall some hardware recommends not to insert/remove stack cables when both ends are "hot".

If your hardware doesn't have that restriction, then you shouldn't have any downtime although you'll half the stack's ring bandwidth while the second stack cable is inactive.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card