Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Config - Switch Provisioning

msmalik
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Where does the following command gets entered? 

switch
 stack-member-number provision type
e.g : switch 3 provision ws3750g-24t

I have a switch already running, I am now adding another switch same model and IOS version and will setup a stack.

What I am wondering is, where does the provision command apply? Master or the new switch i am going to add?
What are the effects of adding or not adding the above command?

Because my understanding is, i can just match the IOS number and set the switch priority as i want and then just plug the stack cables and power on the second switch to make a stack working. The number with highest priority will become the stack Master and hence have the ports as 1/x/x and the second switch will become the slave and have the ports as 2/x/x. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@msmalik wrote:

What I am wondering is, where does the provision command apply? Master or the new switch

Basically what you are dong is joining two standalone switch's to become a stack, in that case suggest:

1- active switch
switch 1 priority 15
switch 2 provision xxxx

2- new switch
switch 1 priority 1

save and shutdown

3 - add new switch to active switch via stack cables and power on new switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@msmalik wrote:

HI,

Where does the following command gets entered? 

switch
 stack-member-number provision type
e.g : switch 3 provision ws3750g-24t

Depends on the platform. 

Classic IOS, in configuration mode. 

For IOS-XE, in enable mode.

Hello

@msmalik wrote:

What I am wondering is, where does the provision command apply? Master or the new switch

Basically what you are dong is joining two standalone switch's to become a stack, in that case suggest:

1- active switch
switch 1 priority 15
switch 2 provision xxxx

2- new switch
switch 1 priority 1

save and shutdown

3 - add new switch to active switch via stack cables and power on new switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card