Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Member Console Access

svetlinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We have 2 stacked switches (WS-C2960XR-24TD-I). One is configured as a Master and the other as Member. 

I changed the console password on the Master switch and that works fine. I plugged into the console port of the member and I can see that the change has not been replicated. I compared the sh run output of both switches (by console access from the Master and using session 2 to connect to the Member) and I can see that the aaa authentication lines and the config for line con 0 and line vty 5 15 are missing on the member.

I made changes to some of the ports a few days prior and those can be seen on both devices' sh run output.

The main issue is that I do not have the console port password for the member and I am not able to edit the configuration for the Member. 

Is it by design that they should have different console port passwords? Aren't all changes supposed to replicate on the member?

Let me know if you need me to attach any output from the devices.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 Replies 5

Hi

As I remember you will be able to use console port on the Master switch only. You could verify the stack on the master switch in order to see if everything is ok using: show switch

The credentials should be the same for all the switch into the stack. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@svetlinski wrote:

Is it by design that they should have different console port passwords?

The console port username/password should be the same as the master.

That's the problem, it is not. As I say, the configuration about password/username is completely missing on the member switch...

Hi

Have you verified if they are working as stack? it could be verified using: show switch or show switch details

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi,

Yes, please see below:

CORE_SW#sh switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
----------------------------------------------------------
*1 Master xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 1 4 Ready
2 Member xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 1 4 Ready
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card