Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack ports down

TGF_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a problem in a switch with 3 members as stack.. One of the switch is not any more a member of the stack

gvadc-da02#show switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down          Ok
    3           Ok          Down

What could be the issue?

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You only have one stack cable connected for each switch

Can you connect the second stack cable and test again?

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I have two cables both showing down

I tried to remove the stack cables and reconnect from switch 2 ( the switch that is no more a part of stack group ) still it doesn't work

It can be a Stackport or cable issue try to test the cable that is working with the switch 2 and see if it joins the stack, if it does then you will need a replacement of the cables, just open a TAC case for the replacement.

if it does not join the stack with the know working cable then you can have a problem with the Stack ports on the switch, if the unit is under warranty or smarnet contract you can also open a TAC case for the replacement.

hi

I am unable to login through console port. I will try to connect after disconnecting the stack cables, but it doesnt make sense that I cant connect directly to the console of the switch though it has been evicted out of the stack..

Any clue?

I was trying to access the crashinfo incase the switch had high CPU ..

You are likely not putting your console cable into the stack master, make sure you plug into the one with the master led lit up.

Secondly if you have spare stack cables then try swapping them out making sure they are in correctly with port 1 on sw1 going into port 2 of switch 2 and so on.

Failing that it could be damaged stack ports which can occur if the switch has been balanced on its rear.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hello

We have investigated a bit more, the Cisco switch is not responding  not even on console. We tried to reset the switch, twice and the console port doesnt come up nor the other fiber ports( LED orange)..

I think we will be replacing the switch.

All the other switches in the stack are runnign

flash:c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE

and I was planning to update the new switch with an IOS closest to this image which is

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin

I believe then there will be a reboot and downtime during the upgrade process.. Could you please confirm?

Yes, you will have downtime since you need to reload the Stack to boot up with the new IOS, but the downtime should be only the boot up process.

Hello

I have a question, I have brought the IOS of all the switches to the same level. All are running the same image

The order would be

1.Make switch priority 1 since it is a slave switch

2.connect the switch through stack cables to the other 2 switches

3. Power the switch on

4. then configure the interfaces

5. Connect the interfaces to the other switches

Will this work?

and I was planning to update the new switch with an IOS closest to this image which is

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin

Try IOS version 12.2(55)SE5 instead.

1.Make switch priority 1 since it is a slave switch

Not recommended since priority "1" means the switch will join on a stack election during every reboot.  Besides, if there's no power, you cannot configure switch priority.

4. then configure the interfaces

That's the beauty of the 3750 is that you can configure the interfaces BEFORE the new switch joins the stack.  Just make sure you configure "switch N provision " and you should be able to configure the interface.

hi all

successfully performed the intervention. I wanted to avoid downtime and hence put all the switches with the same image.Apparently the new switch if with a better version would infact get downgraded in order to match the other two switches.

Thanks for all your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card