Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack switches upgrade

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can we upgrade the Stack of 2 members in a way so we can reload master switches first so the standby becomes master and data traffic still passing? Once the Previous master reloaded there will be a version mismatch and not join the stack. Then we can reload the current master (previous standby). Will data traffic still passing when both switches were running with different IOS and with the same config file? layer 2 traffic will pass through the switch?

(Bundle mode upgrade)

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The question is invalid since in whatever upgrade-flow, each stack-member still has it's individual client-connections, and these will always have no network-service when that particular stack member reboots.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

HI,

Consider this switch as aggregation switch and has redundant uplinks to access switches, in this case, data traffic will pass while upgrading the stack switches.

- Again, not for the clients connected to the rebooting stack-member.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I have attached the drawing. I want to achieve while upgrading the stack switch, ping (connectivity) should not break with the server. Can i reload stack member one by one after change the boot variable or we don't have any other option but reload the whole stack?

- I find the drawing confusing. How can Stack Switch 1 be located at 3 different instances ?

M.

Diagram corrected.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card