cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking 24 Port and 48 Port 3750X switches... Not working

psiegling
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased a number of 3750X 48 and 24 port switches for the College Campus. Am finally getting around to getting them inserted on the network. Working with a WS-3750X-48PF-S and a WS-3750X-24P-L. Have them stacked with the 10Gb uplink on the 48 port switch. Have not been having fun.

In the boot sequence, the switches recognize they are stacked, but as soon as they finish boot, I get the message on the 48 port switch: “Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state down.” Then “Stack Port 2 Switch1 has changed to state down.” Am noticing that I have a message preceding that: “Major version mismatch with stack neighbor.”

The 48 port is running c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-1.SE3, HBOOT 12.2(53r)SE2.
The 24 port is running c3750e-unversalk9-mz.122-55.SE3, HBOOT 12.2(53r)SE2

Most of our 3750X and older switches are running 122-55 or 122.58 code. IP base or Universal. There is speculation that the problem is the 24 Port is Lan base, as the part number might indicate. (WS-C3750X-24-P-L.... I think that is the part number) and the 48 is IP base. Both switches are Universal, and my understanding is that they don't care about LAN or IP Base until you enable a function that falls in the IP Base domain. Then I have to call Cisco Licensing.

For these switches, LAN Base is fine, based on the boot message, I feel the real problem is 122-55 versus 150-1 in the stack. So.. the question is: Do I downgrade the 48 port to match what we have in our environment, and what is on the 24 port switch. Or... Upgrade the 24 port switch to match the 48 port switch and have an installation that is not consistent with our environment? I do have two more edge closets to install with this purchase of 3750X 48 port switches.

Thoughts or solutions welcome.....

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would upgrade the 24 ports to 150-1.SE3 image.  So far, IOS 15 has been pretty good on the 3750X series switches.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You may have two problems, both of which you've touched upon.

First, generally you want all switches in a stack running the same IOS version.  As to whether to downgrade one to the other or conversely upgrade one to the other, depends on you IOS version feature needs and whether you have a current support contract on the unit you wish to upgrade.

Second, I think I recall the 3750-X series doesn't support stacking mixing LAN BASE members with other members having advanced licensed feature sets.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card