Views
Helpful
Replies

stacking 2x C3850 switches

Per_Cas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, 

I have 2xC3850 stadck switches. Now they are working as standalone switches, both in active state when you issue sh switch command: 

sh switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : 9c57.ad9f.4300 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 9c57.ad9f.4300 1 V06 Ready

I would like to connect C3850-2 switch to C3850-1 with stack cables, but I would like to C3850-1 remains active. Documentation says: 

The operation of the switch stack continues uninterrupted during membership changes unless you remove the active switch or you add powered-on standalone switches or switch stacks.

• Adding powered-on switches (merging) causes all switches to reload and elect a new active switch from among themselves. The newly elected active switch retains its role and configuration. All other switches retain their stack member numbers and use the stack configuration of the newly elected active switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html

" Adding powered-on switches (merging) causes all switches to reload "  - I understand there is now way to perform operation of adding standby switch to stack without reload all stuck? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pre-provisioning is optional.  You can configure pre-provisioning if you want to configure the ports of the new member.

The most import thing to remember is to POWER OFF the new stack member BEFORE connecting the stacking cable.  Failure to do so and the entire stack will reboot, as designed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ensure the 2nd switch is POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cables.

Hello guys, 

Thanks for sharing that info. Do I have to issue any commands on active or standby switch before I connect stack member ,like: 

Switch(config)#switch 2 provision [nr]

Pre-provisioning is optional.  You can configure pre-provisioning if you want to configure the ports of the new member.

The most import thing to remember is to POWER OFF the new stack member BEFORE connecting the stacking cable.  Failure to do so and the entire stack will reboot, as designed.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Thanks guys!

Carlos Villagran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

As Leo pointed, please be sure that both switches are running the same software version, connect the second switch powered off to the first switch (using the stack cables) and finally turn it on.

That will form the stack and first switch will NOT reload.

Hope it helps.

JC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card