Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
raine1378
Beginner

stacking 3750G & 3750E

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  I have 2 3750's one is an 3750E the other one is a G... Since they are 2 different versions Do I need to correct ios for each for example my 3750E switch i would have

IP BASE

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin        and for my 3750G switch should i use

IP BASE

c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin

Which would be 2 separate images

Would this work????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leo L
VIP Community Legend

Both the "G" and the "E" are running the same IOS (12.2(53)SE2) and the same feature set (IP Base).  So this is OK.

NOTE: IOS version 12.2(53)SE and later, which includes 12.2(53)SE2, is not a very good version.  You may want to reconsider upgrading both to 12.2(55)SE6.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee

Hi Issac,

You can use mixed hardware and form the stack.

• Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)
  • Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

It is always good that if you use same IOS feature set, but Switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches)

If you have different image for two different switch, you need to upgrade the switches seperately.

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Leo L
VIP Community Legend

Both the "G" and the "E" are running the same IOS (12.2(53)SE2) and the same feature set (IP Base).  So this is OK.

NOTE: IOS version 12.2(53)SE and later, which includes 12.2(53)SE2, is not a very good version.  You may want to reconsider upgrading both to 12.2(55)SE6.

ok thanks that it what i was trying to figure out....I had a "G" switch put but an "E" image on it not knowing it wouldn't work....it kept trying to reload the image over & over

Leo L
VIP Community Legend

it kept trying to reload the image over & over

Keep us posted.  You may have a corrupted image.  If in doubt, post the entire bootup process.