Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking 3850

rudimocnik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am planning on expanding a current stack of 2x WS-C3850-24XU-L with a 1x WS-C3850-12XS-S and 2x WS-C3850-24T-L.

I've read through the stacking guides and it says:

".. all switches in one stack must have the same version of IOS XE and the same feature set license. A
mixed stack of LAN base switches with IP base or IP services is not supported.

Since the 12XS-S is not available in LAN Base version (-L) how can I make this work. I've read something about downgrading from IP Base to LAN Base with 

license boot level lanbase

Can anyone confirm this stacking will work if I use the above command on 12XS-S? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can confirm that 3850-12XS-S can be downgraded to LanBase and successfully join existing 3850-24XU-L stack.

You need to provision the 3850-12XS-S by downgrading the license level and match the sw version. To downgrade license use these commands:

Switch#license right-to-use deactivate ipbase

Reboot is required to invoke new license level.

Show license right-to-use will show landbase as Permanent license.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello

Feature set will need to changed as you know, you should be able to check license availability

on each switch:
show license all switch xx
show version

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I understand that license levels can be upgraded, say from LAN Base to IP Base, however I cannot find any useful info on the web for downgrades.

I don't need IP base features and I already have 2x 3850-24XU-L stacked as mentioned. The problem I have is that optical switches in 3850 series do not come in LAN Base.

I again went through data sheet and found this ...

"The 12-port and 24-port SFP+- and SFP-based models as well as the 48-port SFP+ model can only be ordered with IP Base or IP Services licenses. Therefore, in order to stack with LAN Base models, they need to be configured in LAN Base mode from the CLI."

Has anyone tried the downgrade to LAN base on 3850-12S-S or 3850-12XS-S switch and stack with other -L switches?

I guess the above command will do the job. Can anyone confirm?

Hello

Have a look at the attached link - RTU activation seems to be the way to go

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3e/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3e_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_0100.html#task_786D8342DC6D4B2BA04D7C576E897C8E.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I can confirm that 3850-12XS-S can be downgraded to LanBase and successfully join existing 3850-24XU-L stack.

You need to provision the 3850-12XS-S by downgrading the license level and match the sw version. To downgrade license use these commands:

Switch#license right-to-use deactivate ipbase

Reboot is required to invoke new license level.

Show license right-to-use will show landbase as Permanent license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: