cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise Virtual connection between two Switches Catalyst 9300

Hannibal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community, the best community of the internet!!!

I have a small query that the Cisco documentation could not clarify.

I know that the Catalyst 9500 series and 4500-X series switches support Stackwise Virtual. This is very useful to make a redundant design, for example in the connetion of two Datacenter (main and backup) separated at a distance of 800 meters between them.

My question is, the Catalyst 9300 series also supports virtual Stackwise in such a way as to connect my two Datacenter via fiber optic using stackwise virtual in the same way that I can do it with the catalyst 9500/4500 ??

In other words, no traditonal stacking like we all know... Something like a geographic redundancy

Thank you in advance Community

Hann

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The 9300 is mainly designed for the access layer. So, no StackWise virtual/VSS there only stacking with a short cable.

But 4500-x supports VSS and the 9500 supports StackWise Virtual which is the same as VSS. What type of switches are you planning to use for access and what type for core?

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi Hann,

Maybe you misunderstood my answer. 9300 only stacking with a short cable (max 3 meters) and no VSS.

HTH

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Sure, that is not an issue at all. You can have one switch in one location and the other one 800 meters apart, and build a StackWise virtual using long-haul fiber cables and optics.

HTH

Hannibal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reza, thank you for your answer

Really I can to do this also with the switch Catalyst 9300 ??

We have two catalyst 9500 connected via VSS and also two 4500-X but it coud be wonderful to us and also good news if we can to do the same with the Catalyst 9300. We have some catalyst 9300 eaaady to do that, then ...

Only we can have one VSS link connection between two Catalyst 9300/4500/9500 ??

Regards and thank you in advance !!!

Hann

Hi,

The 9300 is mainly designed for the access layer. So, no StackWise virtual/VSS there only stacking with a short cable.

But 4500-x supports VSS and the 9500 supports StackWise Virtual which is the same as VSS. What type of switches are you planning to use for access and what type for core?

HTH

Hi Reza

It already seemed wonderful to me if the Catalyst 9300 supports stackwise and / or VSS.

We are planning to connect our two data centers separated by two kilometers using two Catalyst 9500s but this would be wonderful if we can use two Catalyst 9300 switches.

Thanks in advanced !!

Hann

Hi again

To complet last reply, for the core we have installed two Catalyst 4500-X and two catalyst 9500

Thank you Reza

Hann

Hi Hann,

Maybe you misunderstood my answer. 9300 only stacking with a short cable (max 3 meters) and no VSS.

HTH

Yes Reza, I misunderstood 

Thank you very much for your help ... Great

Regards

Hann

Good luck with your project!

Hi Reza

Sorry, I was left with a question,

What is the maximum number of catalyst 4500-x or Catalyst 9500 switches that can be Stack VSL or virtual stackwise?

Can I stack four 4500-x / 9500 switches for more redundancy?

I am thinking of making a topology of four switches for example A, B, C, D.

- Switch A connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch B
- Switch B connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch C
- Switch C connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch D
- Switch D connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch A

It's possible?
The restriction is that they must be switches of the same model and the same firmware version, right?

Please, see the attach

With best regards

and Thanks in advance

Hann

Hi Hann,

The maximum chassis for 4500-x VSS is 2 and the maximum chassis for the 9500 StackWise Virtual is also 2.

So, with 2 chassis, you can make a VSS set. The same for the 9500.

Can you provide a diagram of your network and the equipment in hand, so I can understand better what you are trying to do?

HTT

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello.

Can you clarify exact model from catalyst 9300 series? Because this series of switches is stacked using physical stack-modules.

Hi Kapy, thank for your answer !!!

Please let me to do the same quetion for you

Before, the Cat 9300 model is Cat 9300-48P-E

What is the maximum number of catalyst 4500-x or Catalyst 9500 switches that can be Stack VSL or virtual stackwise?

Can I stack four 4500-x / 9500 switches for more redundancy?

I am thinking of making a topology of four switches for example A, B, C, D.

- Switch A connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch B
- Switch B connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch C
- Switch C connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch D
- Switch D connected with two 10GB interfaces to switch A

It's possible?
The restriction is that they must be switches of the same model and the same firmware version, right?

Please, see the attach

With best regards

and Thanks in advance

Hann

For catalyst 9300-48P-E you can use only physical stack-module.

What is the maximum number of catalyst 4500-x or Catalyst 9500 switches that can be Stack VSL or virtual stackwise? - 2 switches maximum in stackwise virtual.

Can I stack four 4500-x / 9500 switches for more redundancy? - No, because both switches in the stackwise virtual must be of the same switch model with same license and software version.

Your topology not quite correct. See attach (but all depends from your tasks and the source data).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card