cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stand alone 9200L boot delayed by: Both links down...Switch number is

mdodge
Level 1
Level 1

Full message as the switch starts to boot, and it sits there for a couple of minutes at least:

"Both links down, not waiting for other switches
                                                                         Switch number is 1"

This switch isn't part of a stack, but this pauses the boot up and causes a delay. I'm in the process of upgrading/replacing 45+ switches, cutting down this delay would help me save me a lot of time.

Any ideas on how to remove this delay? I've looked online but haven't found a definitive way to remove it.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if it is possible to change or undo the switch number from 1 to anything lower as switch 1 is the default.

Try this link and see if you can change the switch stack to 0

SWITCH_NUMBER=

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/212912-catalyst-9000-switches-booting-to-switch.html

HTH

Thanks, I will try it shortly and report back.

these switches ALWAYS runs as a stacked switch even with only a single member

>>> and it sits there for a couple of minutes at least: <<<
this is normal behavior, the switch performs POST an initializes it's hardware
this takes some (/considerable) time

but it can also be the switch previously was member of a real stack, but these members are now removed
=> check for   "switch x provision xxxx" command in the configuration
     and remove the lines for members that do not exist anymore

if it is  a new out-of-the box switch 
it will check if there are other stack members and log something like  "waiting for other members to boot up"
>>> "Both links down, not waiting for other switches <<<
at this time it has detected there are no other switches in the stack, and it waits no more
when the configuration has been saved including only a single "switch 1 provision xxxx" command
then next time it boot's it knows in advance it is the only member in the stack
the check for other members will be shorter and boot will be a bit faster
=> use a staging procedure to configure your switches before you place them in the destination.

mdodge
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, but either suggestion works. This is a new, out of the box, switch. I have been prestaging them, and all the switches have the "switch 1 provision..." command in the running config, with no other entrees other than itself. The pause is still about 2 minutes for it to get past the stack/no stack search. I might be stick with it.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you can do a test with the stack-ring closed ? 
connect a single cable to both ports on the same switch

ICisco StackWise Architecture on Catalyst 9200 Series Switches White Paper - Cisco
In a full ring, discovery exits after all the members are found. In a half ring, the system waits for two minutes

in my knowledge of the 9300's when no cable is connected the stack ring should be closed internally
the 9200's may behave differently or this just does not work as intended (a bug that affects this hardware function ?)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card